Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 side contours

I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm currently saving for my first Vette. As I stated on the LT4 forum I am deciding between an LT4 and a pre 2003 C5 coupe. I'm at the early stages of my research and will definitely be studying up on both models including trying to drive some of each.

My question here is in regards to the C5, specifically the side panels. Again forgive my ignorance I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology. Hopefully I get the point across though. Why do some models have a sunken contour from behind the wheel through the doors that is divided in two (white C5 below) and in others it's one smooth contour (yellow C5 below)? From the little bit I've looked it doesn't seem to be specific to years or coupe vs. convertible etc. I like the look of the one contour (like the yellow one) and didn't know if I should just be looking at certain criteria to find those models.

Sorry if this has been asked and discussed before or if it's a sore subject. I looked and couldn't see it anywhere. Thanks for your help.

92-c5-coupe.jpg1591-c5-coupe.jpg

My understanding is that was an option from the factory and not all of them got the "spears". I don't know if that is the official name but I've heard them called that before. It's a personal preference as to whether you like them or not. If you buy a car that has them and you don't like them, they can be removed without much ado. If you buy a car that doesn't have them, they can be added if you desire. I've seen them for sale from people who have removed them.

My C5 didn't have them and I liked the look. My neighbor has an 03 with them and I like the looks of his car as well. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

My understanding is that was an option from the factory and not all of them got the "spears". I don't know if that is the official name but I've heard them called that before. It's a personal preference as to whether you like them or not. If you buy a car that has them and you don't like them, they can be removed without much ado. If you buy a car that doesn't have them, they can be added if you desire. I've seen them for sale from people who have removed them.

My C5 didn't have them and I liked the look. My neighbor has an 03 with them and I like the looks of his car as well. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

"Spears" or "SASM" - whatever they are called, they were an option. They help protect the side of the Vette from door dings in parking lots.
Both C5s we had did not have them and we liked it that way.

As noted, you can remove them if you don't like them or add them if you do - they are stuck onto the car.

Thanks for the replies and info everyone. Just knowing the proper name for them has helped me a lot in finding information that I was looking for. :thumb

The body side moldings can certainly be removed, but keep in mind they have been on the car for a number of years. If removed, you may see a darker body color where they were. Just some food for thought. Good luck in your search for a car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom