Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Wheel and Tire Specs vs Performance

Jack,

Here's what I did recently for new tires and wheels.

Wheels - Chrome C5 Z06 (18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear)
Tires - BR Goodrich T/A g-Force KDW-2's (255/40/18 front and 285/40/18 rear.
Rake - 1 inch (26" diameter front and 27" rear).

Remo:cool
spring07.JPG

along with potholes and speed bumps almost anything on the road will be more of an obstical with less sidewall, the ride would not differ too much as you currently have runflats so you have a hard ride anyway.

I respect Ligenfelter's expertise and as a result, I put GHL Motorsports cat backs (what they recommend) on my car. And I am very happy with the result.

However, wheels are an entirely different issue. Racing wheels need to be extremely lightweight and if I was going to race my car, I might go that route. I plan to change my wheels when my original tires need changing (still a long way to go) and the look is more important to me than the racing capability.

I'm not cheap - I just spent over $2,000 on my Vette to have front and rear Kool Mats installed under my carpet just for sound insulation, but I'm not stupid either. $1,500 per wheels is a rip off. $1,000 per wheel is a rip off. $500 per wheel is a rip off.

I just put a georgous set of polished aluminum wheels on my 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup that cost, for a set of 4 including shipping to me - are you ready $480.00 - grand total; this was for a relatively rare size - 16"x8" with 8 lugs. And I guarantee you they look better than 90% of what I see on Corvettes!! However, I had to put in about 30 hours of searching the internet to find them; $2,000-$6,000 sets are easy to find.

I fully expect to find a georgous set of 4 wheels for my Vette for less than $1,000
total when the time comes, maybe much lower.

In the area of country where I live oversize wheels and extreme low profile tires are only on "pimped" cars and they always make you wonder why would someone spend that much on wheels and tires when the rest of the vehicle probably belongs in a junk yard. Further, if you put those wheels and tires on your car, you are required to add a f a r t can exhaust and a fake spoiler.

Tstar..... NERDALERT!!!

I'm bored and just had to jump in and get nerdy..... The rake would be half the diameter or 0.45" on a C5. The other half stays above the axle and doesn't count.....

Dave

Tstar..... NERDALERT!!!

I'm bored and just had to jump in and get nerdy..... The rake would be half the diameter or 0.45" on a C5. The other half stays above the axle and doesn't count.....

Dave

Dave - an excellant point - Remo:cool

Remo, looks great and likely more practical than the 19" X 20" combo from what I'm hearing. Searcher, you are right some of the after market wheels are extreme, even gaudy but others are really works of art in my opinion but I can't justify the cost of such art if I can't use it everyday in a practical way, meaning normal driving. I guess if you had a show car it would be OK but I have a driver, I don't drive it much, 12K miles in three years but when it is time to go I can't be concerned with every little bump in the road. Jack

Tstar..... NERDALERT!!!

Dave

Don't tell me I've been nerdified!!!!!!!

Heavens to Mergatrode! Good lord how do you spell that? and where the HELL is it?

KISS I was going by stock diameters for simplicity.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom