Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Automatic Convetible Top

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Hey gang,

I wonder how popular the automatic convertible top has been
on the C6's. GM claims it only takes 18 seconds to lower or raise
the top. You know I think any of us could do it manually in that
time or less. Even manually it's
12_CR_News_GEICO.jpg

Remo:cool

Hey gang,

the top.

I think it's part of their demographic market research - while I can currently raise or lower the top in under 10 seconds, I'm not sure how fast I'll be able to do it in a walker...
;LOL

Hey gang,

the top. You know I think any of us could do it manually in that
time or less. Even manually it's
12_CR_News_GEICO.jpg

How long did it take you at the factory? ;LOL

So Easy a Caveman Can Do It

It looks like more than 70% of
the C6 convertibles are sold with
the automatic tops. Who knew?

Had an automatic top in my 67 Stang,wish the C5 had one but no biggie to do it manual.

Haven't timed it, but it goes down pretty quick....seems longer going back up. It's all about the cool factor though.;)

One click of the eBrake and I can be closing it as I am pulling in the driveway and have it locked down before I'm in the garage! Can use the same technique anywhere I need to park . . . given clearence of coarse:boogie !!

Haven't tried it a highway speed yet!:rotfl :boogie

I think that most people who own a c-5 can put the top up or down in 30 seconds if your good at it.Most of us put the top down an average of say twice a week in the summer.Lets say twenty times a year.
Now on the c-6 they stuck the optional top in the 3lt group which forces you to buy it rather you want it or not.It was a $1600 option.Say with the cost of money it's costing you about $700 per year over three years.Thats $17.50 each time it goes up /each time it goes down.$35 each full cycle.
Needless to say I wouldn't spend the money ,which it looks like i'll be forced to.

I think that most people who own a c-5 can put the top up or down in 30 seconds if your good at it.Most of us put the top down an average of say twice a week in the summer.Lets say twenty times a year.
Now on the c-6 they stuck the optional top in the 3lt group which forces you to buy it rather you want it or not.It was a $1600 option.Say with the cost of money it's costing you about $700 per year over three years.Thats $17.50 each time it goes up /each time it goes down.$35 each full cycle.
Needless to say I wouldn't spend the money ,which it looks like i'll be forced to.

I would probably agree with you except that now that I have the Power Top, I put it down far more often then I ever did in my '00. I don't even think twice about it, if it's a beautiful day, it's down . . . short trip or long trip.

Before, if the trip was a short one, I'd leave it up because it was to much of a hassle to shut the car down, get out and raise the top, get back in to lock it and raise the windows, and get back out. Now I can just push a button, lock it, raise the windows and get out and on my way. Much less commotion.:beer :upthumbs

I would probably agree with you except that now that I have the Power Top, I put it down far more often then I ever did in my '00. I don't even think twice about it, if it's a beautiful day, it's down . . . short trip or long trip.

Before, if the trip was a short one, I'd leave it up because it was to much of a hassle to shut the car down, get out and raise the top, get back in to lock it and raise the windows, and get back out. Now I can just push a button, lock it, raise the windows and get out and on my way. Much less commotion.:beer :upthumbs
Very good point ! Maybe i'll forget and forgive the $$ after a while. :D Like the dealer always tells ya ,your car will be worth so much more---;LOL

I'd be more than happy if they went back to a strictly optional power top. I miss the room in the trunk taken up by the power top. I guess it has to be that way to make you believe that you can't live without it, and keep the price up?

I'd be more than happy if they went back to a strictly optional power top. I miss the room in the trunk taken up by the power top. I guess it has to be that way to make you believe that you can't live without it, and keep the price up?
Thats kinda my point if it was an option I wouldn't buy it.;)

What?? :confused Trunk space is the same whether it is powered or not. Yes, the powered top has a divider to insure that the space needed to be lowered is empty, but it can be lowered to so that you have just as much space as a non-powered top. You would then not be able to use the power to raise and lower the top but you can then raise and lower the manual way. ;shrug

Thats kinda my point if it was an option I wouldn't buy it.;)

I seldom have that much in my trunk anyway but when I do need the space, I just lower the divider and walla, more space. The best part is . . . I have a choice.

You also have a choice . . . ;shrug That's what makes this a great country!:pat

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom