Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 in winter

L

lnirenberg

Advice needed. Live in snow country driving about 30k per year. Considering an'08 coupe as my every day ride. I either need to be talked off the ledge or hear from somone else from a snowy place that drives their vette 12 months a year.

I drive my 2002 Z06 year around, but we don't get much snow in Boise. However, it is the WORST snow car that I have ever driven. You would need appropriate tires, and it would still be poor. The tires are too large and there is just too much torque.

Larry, Larry, Larry...what are you thinking of??!! :eek Just imagine trying to drive such a low-slung car through the snowdrifts here in the Boston area...never mind managing all the ruts and potholes and sheets of ice, and all of this with 435 hp and those wide, wide tires. Tsk! Tsk! :nono

Elaine

P.S. By the way, if you're thinking of upgrading, or adding, give me a call. ;)

OK OK, I said I needed to be talked off the ledge. I love my "new" '70 Chevelle and I can honestly say it is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned (including a mid-year, a shark and my late ZR1) but I was trying to have my cake and eat it too. Limited garage space makes it impractical to have more than one toy. So I guess a new Shelby GT500 is off the plate as well!

Report From Chicago

I have driven stick Corvettes, GTOs, and even a Triumph TR3 year around over the last 40-plus years.

The Vettes of the '60s and '70s were easier to drive than the C5s and C6s. Driving C2s and C3s were a matter of being sensitive to sounds and road feel, using the positraction, and letting the clutch out slowly. I never got stuck in the snow because I drove with caution and not everywhere on some days.

I admit that the C5, and especially the C6, are more of a challenge to drive in snowy conditions. However, what it amounts to is just a variation of the massive amount of enjoyment derived from owning and driving these cars.

Certainly there are heavy snow days when it is apparent to everyone that no Corvette is to be driven. But after the snow plows have cleared the way and some snow has melted, driving in winters is just more and different fun.

Life is far too brief to miss months of driving my C6. Salt can be washed away. These cars are tested and developed for wet conditions.

I refuse to preserve my C6 for the next guy after I am dead.

Buy the Vette and live your life as you want to.
:beer

I spent 8 days in snow and ice here in OK with my '06 back in December and it did okay.

The GS2 tires are okay for traction - don't even think of using SuperCar tires in the snow and ice.

The ride height is too low for trying to blaze a trail before the snow plows get out and rutted roads cause lots of scrapping noises under the car. It did it however.

I have one large scratch on the left rear fender from the ice however. A large chunk of it came loose and went over the roof and slammed into the fender as it came down, leaving a 2x3 inch area of scratches in the paint. Oh well.

I'm an urban edge dweller on a small lot with 4 vehicles, 2 car garage and an undersized driveway, so its either beater or Toy not both. This will be a leased company car and as long as I can get 3 years and about 75K out of it I will be a happy man. After years of driving large AWD sedans I have come to realize (I didn't used to be this slow of brain but 18 yrs of fatherhood/sleep deprivation has thrust me into the ranks of the near addled) that 90% of the time I drive alone so the new list of possibilities will include only 2 seaters and sports coupes. So far that leaves me with a list of 2--C6 coupe (Orange w/ 2 tone interior) and the to be released '08 Audi S5. The good news is that by catching up on this thread my options just doubled. Elaine, this winter if during your commute to Plymouth you see a new C6 stuck in a snowbank hold the I told you so's and come to my rescue! Or should I wait until they come out with the LS7 powered Camaro? Hmmmm.

1996 Subaru beater.
1996SubaruImprezaPE.jpg

I agree with the previous post with the Subaru. I had and wrecked 97 Subaru Outback that was my foul weather car a couple weeks ago. It was a total loss. I went out last week and bought a very clean one owner 98 Subaru Outback with just 67k on the clock. I only take my Vettes out in the winter on the rare nice days and drive my 4 wheel drive Outback otherwise.

I drive my C5 all year round up here, and have no problems as long as it's less than 4 inches. I don't even run snow tires, I stick with Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons all year round.

Snow? What's that? Is that the white stuff that is in the local mountains that we make a special trip up to visit? Of course we then return to the beach where there isn't any snow and it's warmer (in the winter.) Today will be about 72 and sunny (I hear the humidity will be back on Saturday!)

Can you imagine driving an hour to go see snow? Kids have never seen it.

This is all they see~

06JUN2007beachvette001.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom