Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 info from autoextremist.com with more ZL1 news.

R

Rick Daniel

Corvette. Details are emerging about the all-new, 2005 C6 (sixth generation) Corvette that will be introduced at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. Though the new chassis is now shared with another car (the Cadillac XLR luxury sports car) for the first time in Corvette history - the two cars have distinctly different missions and differ substantially from each other. The new Corvette is five inches shorter than the C5 in overall length but retains the same interior room. The overall road presence of the new C6 exterior design and stance is improved dramatically – certainly enough to make C5 owners drool over it and feel compelled to get one. But the new car should turn heads of non-Corvette-owning enthusiasts, too, because of its improved quality, upscale interior materials and outstanding performance capability. The standard 6.0-liter V-8 will now deliver 400HP and around 400 lb-ft of torque, just under the 405HP figure of the current ultra-performance Z06 C5. The front tires will be 245/40ZR 18s, mounted on 8.5" wheels. The rears will be 285/35ZR 19s, mounted on 10.0" wheels. The Z51 Option for '05 will include bigger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, specifically tweaked tires, gear ratios, springs, shocks and sway bars, plus an engine oil cooler and a power-steering cooler for serious off-road performance work. Other details: the HUD on the new car will have a built-in G-meter, a power top will finally be available (long overdue) on the convertible, and a six CD in-dash changer will be an option, as will an onboard navigation system. There's no official confirmation (yet), but there's also a "super" C6 rumored to be on the way with 600+HP (with assistance from McLaren engines). This super C6 will take Corvette's classic performance-value-for-the-dollar equation to new heights and could potentially embarrass all of the other high-priced supercars from around the globe in the process. The "super" C6 will cost more than the standard car by a bunch, but it may still come in at "around" $100,000, undercutting even the Ford GT in cost. And its performance is said to be simply mind-boggling, making even hardcore enthusiasts weak in the knees. The "super" C6 will not appear before mid-2006 at the earliest, but it may be considered enough of a milestone car in the pantheon of great Corvettes to wear the storied "ZL1" designation. Stay tuned...

OH GOOD... another Corvette I can't afford.:D

Only 5 inches shorter. So much for all the rumors about 6 inches shorter at each end. I must admit that teh red SF car did not look a foot shorter. I have another source that confirms that they were having road salt corrosion problems with the AL HF frame so it will not be in the C6, but there are more Hydro formed parts on the car. GM will solve the road salt issue. They want to use AL frames throughout their line.

Well its time to take a second morgage, sell the Jeep and the 96 Vette, take a second and third job and cash in my stocks and bonds.

Thanks for the great info, Rick!

Is the super C6 code named "Blue Devil?"

Zippy :) :)

Zippy said:
Thanks for the great info, Rick!

Is the super C6 code named "Blue Devil?"

Zippy :) :)

Thats what I hear Zippy. I believe this car will be built and it will mark another great milestone for Corvette.:)

UB2 SLOW said:
Well its time to take a second morgage, sell the Jeep and the 96 Vette, take a second and third job and cash in my stocks and bonds.
;stupid

Oh man I get excited reading about this stuff. Even if I may never be able to afford a ZL1, it's awesome to hear about a vette that's going to show up EVERY car on the road!

C6

Though the new chassis is now shared with another car (the Cadillac XLR luxury sports car) for the first time in Corvette history - the two cars have distinctly different missions and differ substantially from each other.

This part is the only downside I can see. Corvette has been unique in that it it never shared it's chassis with any other car.

While I'm sure both cars will be superior, It was nice knowing that nothing else on the road was a clone: (Camaro/Firebird, T-Bird/Lincoln/Jag, etc.)

At least, the round taillights are back!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom