Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Owner buys 2008 Shelby Mustang Conv

Red02Firehawk

Corvette
05, 84, 82, 79
Hello everyone! I thought you might be interested in my recent purchase and how I think the two cars stack up, namely the new Shellby vs. the C6 Corvette.

I have owned the 2005 Corvette coupe, 6 spd., Z51, with competition grey wheels since it was new. I have about 19k miles on the car. I added the Random Tech 3" dual exhaust (which is the very loudest I have ever heard), a Granetelli MAF, VaraRam CAI, and the Predator custom tune with programmer. I have also had some custom tuning done by a local Corvette expert!

I have been considering buying a motorhome for some time now, as my health is going down hill (I have advanced degenerative joint & disc disease). I have been looking for some time.

While on a recent trip to look at a new 2008 Monaco RV, I stopped by the local dealer in Olathe KS. They had a B;ue Shelby coupe/white sripes, which was stunning to say the least. I am not a Ford fan by any means. But I have some money, not a lot, and I thought if I could buy one right, it might be worth something for my grandsons someday. Buy it, put 2k miles on it and then store it.
Well, Olate Ford wanted $20 to $30k over sticker. I never could pin them down.
Needless to say I went on down the road to see the RV.

As luck would have it, the Monaco RV dealer in Ottawa, KS, also owns a Ford dealership right next door. He just happened to have a red convertible Shelby on the floor. I looked at it, and immediately inquired about the price. They wanted $2k over MSRP. I thought that was low, considering they want so much more in Kansas city. The dealer told me he had dealers from Dallas offer his list to sell it. But he had several local towns people interested in it.

I had driven a 2005 Volvo S40 turbo to get a trade value, on the RV. After a day off thought and checking out prices all over the country, I decided to buy the Shelby and wait on the RV.

Now, the real story. THERE IS NO COMPARISON in how the Shelby drives compared to the Corvette. The Corvette, especially the entry level, Z51 is so much more car then the Shelby, it isn't even close! THe Shelby nose feels very heavy with the iron block engine. There is a lot of body lean, and noise coming from the front end. The car feels solid in the straight line, but not at all cornering. It looks good, but it is STILL A FORD MUSTANG! Had I taken a 30 mile test drive and driven my Corvette down, I probably would not have bought it. There is that much difference. If it wasn't a convertible, I probably would not have bought it. No one in the midwest has a convertible, except Des Moines and a couple of others.

I suspect I have about 465 hp on the Corvette, maybe 385rwhp. The Shelby does have more straight line speed, but there is no comparison in handling, coolness, stance, drive height, the feeling of how well a car sticks & handles! The Vette is truly world class. And, after 19k it still smells new and has no rattles, except for the exhaust when it is cold, and that is my fault. The fix is very easy, I have to get to that soon.

The first day over 70 (yesterday & today) I choose to drive the Corvette! I will say the Mustang has an aggressive stance, or look about it. But, it just does not compare, the Corvette is truly world class car, especially for the money! I do like that whine and the power feel coming on at 3800 rpm. I could drive 5 miles and have the folks in Lenexa at ProCharger and get over 600 hpat 6lbs. of boost!!! Or even the MagnaCharger will give me 575+ and I could still whoop the Mustang. But, a good friend who loves Mustangs, says they have seen over 800 on the Shelby with a bigger supercharger and some tuning. I would rather rely on the 6 bolt of the LS2/LS3 then what they have on the bottom end of the Ford.

For those of you who have hesitated about spending the money consider this. I bought a base coupe, 6 spd., w Z51 and competition wheels for $41k. I think sticker was $48,600. If you have not bought a C6 Corvette yet, don't wait any longer, GM is going to wake up and realize what it really has and raise the price!
GO BUY ONE NOW! Local KC dealers are selling 2007s at GMS, and the new 2008 is also being discounted up to $3 TO $4k depending on list price!
AND, a dealer who wanted me to trade for a Z06, even called and lowered the price on the Z06 by $2k!!! But, his trade value he gave me 2 months ago on my car, just happend to go down $2k.

Buy one, don't wait! Just do it, and start driving a truly world class sports car! Hey, I might even consider selling mine for $38k! And, that includes a GMPP extended warranty to 6 (maybe 7 I forget) years/60k miles with $0 deductible! It was not cheap to get the $0 dollar deductible. IT is transferable for $50.. Or, purchase a new 2008, they have the 100k driveline warranty!

I suspect I will try to make a profit on the Mustang Shelby and go ahead and get the RV in a year or two. Originally, I wanted to to get an RV with at least 400hp and to tow my Corvette in a stacker trailer with some other toys. But who knows, if I have a nother surgery (which would be my 30th), having just finished neck fusion at three levels, I might just stay at home and look at my cool Corvette!

Thanks for the information and comparison.

Sounds just like a muscle car should sound.Great straight line performance,but sucky in the turns.Good luck with the car.:beer

owning an 2003 Cobra I know what you mean about front heavy!I've been to quite a few HPDE in Florida and I had to do quite a bite of suspension and frame strengthing and brake upgrade to get that baby to handle in corners.

I will say enjoy your Shellby, it is a fine car just put the comparsion out of your mind because comparing it to a C6 at any level is apples to oranges.

Your a lucky man you own two great AMERICAN icons in Auto history

Sedan versus sports car. There is no comparison.

Hello everyone! I thought you might be interested in my recent purchase and how I think the two cars stack up, namely the new Shellby vs. the C6 Corvette.

I have owned the 2005 Corvette coupe, 6 spd., Z51, with competition grey wheels since it was new. I have about 19k miles on the car. I added the Random Tech 3" dual exhaust (which is the very loudest I have ever heard), a Granetelli MAF, VaraRam CAI, and the Predator custom tune with programmer. I have also had some custom tuning done by a local Corvette expert!

I have been considering buying a motorhome for some time now, as my health is going down hill (I have advanced degenerative joint & disc disease). I have been looking for some time.

While on a recent trip to look at a new 2008 Monaco RV, I stopped by the local dealer in Olathe KS. They had a B;ue Shelby coupe/white sripes, which was stunning to say the least. I am not a Ford fan by any means. But I have some money, not a lot, and I thought if I could buy one right, it might be worth something for my grandsons someday. Buy it, put 2k miles on it and then store it.

As luck would have it, the Monaco RV dealer in Ottawa, KS, also owns a Ford dealership right next door. He just happened to have a red convertible Shelby on the floor. I looked at it, and immediately inquired about the price. They wanted $2k over MSRP. I thought that was low, considering they want so much more in Kansas city. The dealer told me he had dealers from Dallas offer his list to sell it. But he had several local towns people interested in it.

I had driven a 2005 Volvo S40 turbo to get a trade value, on the RV. After a day off thought and checking out prices all over the country, I decided to buy the Shelby and wait on the RV.

Now, the real story. THERE IS NO COMPARISON in how the Shelby drives compared to the Corvette. The Corvette, especially the entry level, Z51 is so much more car then the Shelby, it isn't even close! THe Shelby nose feels very heavy with the iron block engine. There is a lot of body lean, and noise coming from the front end. The car feels solid in the straight line, but not at all cornering. It looks good, but it is STILL A FORD MUSTANG! Had I taken a 30 mile test drive and driven my Corvette down, I probably would not have bought it. There is that much difference. If it wasn't a convertible, I probably would not have bought it. No one in the midwest has a convertible, except Des Moines and a couple of others.

I suspect I have about 465 hp on the Corvette, maybe 385rwhp. The Shelby does have more straight line speed, but there is no comparison in handling, coolness, stance, drive height, the feeling of how well a car sticks & handles! The Vette is truly world class. And, after 19k it still smells new and has no rattles, except for the exhaust when it is cold, and that is my fault. The fix is very easy, I have to get to that soon.

The first day over 70 (yesterday & today) I choose to drive the Corvette! I will say the Mustang has an aggressive stance, or look about it. But, it just does not compare, the Corvette is truly world class car, especially for the money! I do like that whine and the power feel coming on at 3800 rpm. I could drive 5 miles and have the folks in Lenexa at ProCharger and get over 600 hpat 6lbs. of boost!!! Or even the MagnaCharger will give me 575+ and I could still whoop the Mustang. But, a good friend who loves Mustangs, says they have seen over 800 on the Shelby with a bigger supercharger and some tuning. I would rather rely on the 6 bolt of the LS2/LS3 then what they have on the bottom end of the Ford.

For those of you who have hesitated about spending the money consider this. I bought a base coupe, 6 spd., w Z51 and competition wheels for $41k. I think sticker was $48,600. If you have not bought a C6 Corvette yet, don't wait any longer, GM is going to wake up and realize what it really has and raise the price!
GO BUY ONE NOW! Local KC dealers are selling 2007s at GMS, and the new 2008 is also being discounted up to $3 TO $4k depending on list price!
AND, a dealer who wanted me to trade for a Z06, even called and lowered the price on the Z06 by $2k!!! But, his trade value he gave me 2 months ago on my car, just happend to go down $2k.

Buy one, don't wait! Just do it, and start driving a truly world class sports car! Hey, I might even consider selling mine for $38k! And, that includes a GMPP extended warranty to 6 (maybe 7 I forget) years/60k miles with $0 deductible! It was not cheap to get the $0 dollar deductible. IT is transferable for $50.. Or, purchase a new 2008, they have the 100k driveline warranty!

I suspect I will try to make a profit on the Mustang Shelby and go ahead and get the RV in a year or two. Originally, I wanted to to get an RV with at least 400hp and to tow my Corvette in a stacker trailer with some other toys. But who knows, if I have a nother surgery (which would be my 30th), having just finished neck fusion at three levels, I might just stay at home and look at my cool Corvette!

Nice comparison. Thank you.

I read an article written by a syndicated columnist last year in our Sunday paper that described the performance and handling of the Shelby Mustang almost exactly as you described. Thanks for the post - nice job.

Thanks for the very meaningful, specific areas comparison.:beer

Interesting - -thanks for the thoughts . . .

I rented a Hertz GT350H not too long ago and thought it was a lot of fun . . .frankly, sounded better than my C6 . . but didn't have nearly the power or handling of the C6.... those cars have been coming to market now in the mid to high 40's and if I had the cash, I'd buy one just for it's potential collectability . . .but with the current real estate economy, such is regretably not the case. Under no circumstances would I replace my C6 with it . . .simply, not enough performance.

Happy holidays !

Having not driven a Shelby and hearing the Ford guys' claims, your comparison is very informative. I'm even more incredulous of the prices I see these Mustangs selling for. I guess I could just think of the great value I have in my C6.

While not a Shelby, I owned an 05 GT stick, that I bought new in Feb. 2005. The market was savvy, and the build quality poor. I drove it 6K miles in 4 months, and basically sold it for what I paid. Not a Shelby, but a vastly different drive than my 07 C6.

Say Firehawk....any significance with your name? My father died an active employee with Firestone, 15 years ago from cancer.....he worked there for 37 years... Loved his cars as a younger man, before the six of us kids were born.

I have been considering the Firestones for my Vette...looks like the Z51 GY,s are only going to make 10K miles.

THX, for the post, and hang tough......enjoy the toy's :D

Red02Firehawk--I have to agree with your assesment 100%. I have an 07 Shelby GT500 and am purchasing an 08 Vette Pace Car . From all that I have read and heard, the Vette drives much nicer and corners better and the Shelby is "nose heavy" and bad on turns..The only thing IMO that the Shelby has over my Vette is the "wow" factor when people see it as there are not that many GT500's seen on the streets in my town and the Vette is more common. (although the graphics on this new 08 Pace Car may turn a few heads on it's own ! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom