Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Paddle shifters - guidance needed

obidonkenobe

Corvette
2006 Daytona Sunset Orange Corvette Convertible
Hello,

I have a 2006 Corvette Convertible with a 6 speed automatic and the paddle shifters. I definitely enjoy driving it, but am wondering what the limits are and if I am really getting the most out of the paddle shifters.

What can you do as far as downshifting on the fly without doing damage to the tranny. I want to have fun, but don't want to trash the tranny in the process.

Thanks!
Don

Hello,

I have a 2006 Corvette Convertible with a 6 speed automatic and the paddle shifters. I definitely enjoy driving it, but am wondering what the limits are and if I am really getting the most out of the paddle shifters.

What can you do as far as downshifting on the fly without doing damage to the tranny. I want to have fun, but don't want to trash the tranny in the process.

Thanks!
Don
Hi Don, Don't have any real technical knowledge about the limits, but when I went through the spring mountain high performance driving school we did drive them hard and down shifted very aggressively with no problems. The told us to hammer away. The computer sets the appropriate engine speed to match the wheel speed before making the shift. Have fun

HI there,
That is correct.
The transmission control module will not shift the transmission if it believes the shift will not be done reliably and without damage
Shift away, you will be fine.
Allthebest, c4c5

^
|
What he said.

You can try the down shift but the computer will not let it happen if it believes the down shift will put the RPM above safe range.

Up-shift is similar - it will not upshift if it thinks it will drop the RPM below idle speed.

Try it - it appears to be bullet proof in my 06.

The A6 is a hardy unit. It "learns" via the drivers' inputs. These algorithyms will become the baseline for performance (or lack therof) based on the inputs. Some cars can become "lazy" if driven mildly for an extended period (40 heat cycles.) You can have your tranny "re-flashed" at you dealership for free. This will reset all the shift points to the most aggresive and the change is noticable. A friend of mine has done this 4 times already with his 2008 Z51! (I keep telling him to drive the car harder!) Here's a pic of his last car~
;LOL;LOL:rotfl:W:eek:hnoes:L
26JUL2008CARSHOW004.jpg

Hello,

Thanks!
Don

Don, I suspect you bought your vette used and didn't get a manual. If so, this is what it reads in my manual for an 08'.

Downshifting into:
4th Gear - < 168 mph - I don't think I'll ever see this speed!
3rd Gear - < 124 mph
2nd Gear - < 81 mph
1st Gear - < 45 mph

Upshifting max would be redline before the DIC throws a big "X" to prevent damage. Also downshifting provides the same feature.
You can also use cruise control in paddleshift mode.
Hope this helps.
chris

Don, I suspect you bought your vette used and didn't get a manual. If so, this is what it reads in my manual for an 08'.

Downshifting into:
4th Gear - < 168 mph - I don't think I'll ever see this speed!
3rd Gear - < 124 mph
2nd Gear - < 81 mph
1st Gear - < 45 mph

Upshifting max would be redline before the DIC throws a big "X" to prevent damage. Also downshifting provides the same feature.
You can also use cruise control in paddleshift mode.
Hope this helps.
chris

I saw that happen. I tried to downshift and got the 'X'. I am glad that it is setup that way.:thumb

Hello,

Thanks!
Don

You will not damage the transmission downshifting "on the fly". That is one reason why the six-speed automatic got the paddle shift feature in the first place.

The A6 is a hardy unit. It "learns" via the drivers' inputs. These algorithyms will become the baseline for performance (or lack therof) based on the inputs. Some cars can become "lazy" if driven mildly for an extended period (40 heat cycles.) You can have your tranny "re-flashed" at you dealership for free. This will reset all the shift points to the most aggresive and the change is noticable. A friend of mine has done this 4 times already with his 2008 Z51! (I keep telling him to drive the car harder!) Here's a pic of his last car~
;LOL;LOL:rotfl:W:eek:hnoes:L
26JUL2008CARSHOW004.jpg

Is that turbo intercooler air ducting on the rear of the VW bus?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom