Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: C6 Seat Rebuild - Better than new

Mez

Corvette
2005 LeMans Blue
It is no secret that the seats of the C5 & C6 have a reputation for being less than satisfactory in the area comfort and support.

Over the last year or so, I've developed a repair procedure and want to share it with everyone. I wanted to see how it worked out in my car over time and can say the seat feel its 100% better than OEM.

There are two problems this fixes:
1) The side bolsters from the factory do not have any support under them. So as you climb in/out of the seat, the outside bolster foam tears as it sits on the steel seat frame and quickly goes flat.
2) The steel wires in the center area cut into the foam and quickly cause the foam to sag and pinching around the hip area. I found this extremely uncomfortable after only 15 minutes.​
Send me an email if you would like information on where to purchase the repair kit including instructions.

Here are the photos of a recent rebuild on my C6 seat. The C5 and C6 seats are basically the same under the cover. The information below is just the high points.

1. Unbolt seat.
Bolts.jpg

2. Disconnect wires harness.
Connector1.jpg

2. Remove seat belt.
SeatBelt.jpg

3. Remove side controls, cut numerous hog rings, peal back Velcro, and until string holding bottom seat cover then pull out bottom seat cushion.
Lever.jpg

4. Using spray upholstery contact cement, attach new fabric to the underside of seat foam. The center support wires cut into the foam quickly causing the bottom seat cushion to sag. This brings the OEM foam back to its original position and stops the wires from cutting into it.
Foamattachments.jpg

5. Using spray contact cement, attach new high density upholstery grade foam to underside of bolster area. This adds the missing support under the bolsters.
Bluefabric.jpg

6. Add jute pad on top of center support wires for additional firmness if desired. This is optional and you should try this out before reinstalling the seat to see if you like how it feels.

Jute.jpg

7. Reassembled and Finished.

Finished.jpg

8. Reinstall.
Finishedinstalled.jpg

Very informative thread, thank you :thumb

With this info I may tempt a go at it myself.

Fred

Thanks. I've seen this kit is now available from a number of retail sources and on eBay.

The more I drive my car, the more I am impressed with this kit. Its been in my car about a year and the bolsters are right where they should be. And the center is firmer and 100% more comfortable than before.

The key is adding the foam under the OEM bolster. The foam acts like a spring and pushes the bolster up to its original position. The jute in center section give the seat a firmer, more european feel. My butt and hips feel great even after a 6 hour drive.

The wrinkles are much less noticeable.

C6 Seat Rebuild-Better Than New

My wife said that this material can be bought at Hobby Lobby. So we take a ride. Sure enough we bought the dense foam for $11.44. Already had some carpet padding.Took me 2 hours to rebuild and replace. AND I used the original hog rings again. $11.44... It pays to listen to reason sometime.

My wife said that this material can be bought at Hobby Lobby. So we take a ride. Sure enough we bought the dense foam for $11.44. Already had some carpet padding.Took me 2 hours to rebuild and replace. AND I used the original hog rings again. $11.44... It pays to listen to reason sometime.

The foam is just one part of the kit.

The kit available on-line comes with everything you need (except for the spray glue) including detail instructions and photos.

The seat kit is shipped right to your front door saving the time and effort to go find all the different parts. What about the ballistic nylon? The jute? All this takes time to find the right parts.

The hog rings can be reused if you don't break one. But they are more difficult to remove and re-install than the zip ties.

seat

Luckily we had spray glue ,jute padding, hog ring pliers, hot knife,and some knowledge. We could have installed a spring held "X" member but since I only weigh 160 lbs. that would have been a little overkill. Just so happens that one of my best friends is called "Stitch".
So if there were problems we had a backup plan.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom