Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 vs. C5 Z06

odcraig

Corvette
2005 Silver Z51 Coupe, 1998 Red Coupe
I am planning on purchasing either a C5 Z06 or a C6, and have read advantages/disadvantages to both. What would you recommend for daily use? I have a 98, which I will keep.

For all out performance numbers, the Z06 is the better car in stock trim. However, if you are prone to modify your car, you may want to wait and see what new toys the aftermarket will develop for the LS2. Everything that is developed for the new generation SBC (heads, intakes, throttle bodies, etc) will not be compatible with the LS1. Remeber, the LS2 is a throttle by wire car, with revised block features that change the outside dimensions and mounting locations. Finally, it begs the question, which car put the bigger grin on your face. After all, that is what this hobby is about!!

Brett

odcraig said:
I am planning on purchasing either a C5 Z06 or a C6, and have read advantages/disadvantages to both. What would you recommend for daily use? I have a 98, which I will keep.

I've road tested both. In fact, elsewhere on CAC are those road tests.

For daily use, by a noticable margin, a C6 Cpe w. Z51 is the better choice.

Hib Halverson said:
I've road tested both. In fact, elsewhere on CAC are those road tests.

For daily use, by a noticable margin, a C6 Cpe w. Z51 is the better choice.
Hib is probably right.

Again- is up to you if you REALLY like one over the other. Drive them both and see what you come up with. I'd like to hear about it.

the C5 Z has all the bugs worked out of it and its a much cooler looking car in my eyes. Also faster than the base C6.

Wait a couple of months and get a C6 Z06. Then you would have the best of both......:beer

1995 RedVette said:
For all out performance numbers, the Z06 is the better car in stock trim. However, if you are prone to modify your car, you may want to wait and see what new toys the aftermarket will develop for the LS2. Everything that is developed for the new generation SBC (heads, intakes, throttle bodies, etc) will not be compatible with the LS1. Remeber, the LS2 is a throttle by wire car, with revised block features that change the outside dimensions and mounting locations. Finally, it begs the question, which car put the bigger grin on your face. After all, that is what this hobby is about!!

Brett
It is my understanding that all C5s are throttle by wire. I think you should get whatever makes you most happy. Drive them both. I think the C5 Z06 is going to be a bit more agressive than the C6 albeit the performance numbers will be similar. The Z is going to be cheaper to purchase but also take a bigger hit on depreciation. The C6 is more refined and will cost you more to purchase right now. You also might have to consider the wait involved to get one. If it were me, I think I would have to go with the C6. Good luck and have fun!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom