Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6- vs Z06 ride comfort

Dom

Corvette
Formerly 2006 Le Mans Blue & 2001 Pewter
Can anyone opine on the ride comfort btw the C6 and Z06. Everything Im reading says that the Z06 is really uncomfortable when compared to the C6 coupe and that the Z06, with its poor ride comfort and road noise, is really a car for the track

Can it really be that bad to drive on "normal" roads??

Can anyone opine on the ride comfort btw the C6 and Z06. Everything Im reading says that the Z06 is really uncomfortable when compared to the C6 coupe and that the Z06, with its poor ride comfort and road noise, is really a car for the track

I test drove a couple of C6 coupes (07's) before I bought my 07 Z06.There is no doubt the "Z" is abusive compared to the coupe. It is louder and the ride much stiffer. You feel every bump in the road. The engine noise is greater and the road noise louder. I would not want to ride in the Z for more than an hour or 2 at a time. That being said I wouldn't trade it for a coupe for anything!

If ride quality is a key factor in a Corvette purchase decision, do not buy a Z06.

You want a base C6 with F55 "Magnetic Selective Ride Control"

Here's ia weird question.

If you buy a car without the Magride would that be the equivalent of having a Magride car set on "tour"?

Here's ia weird question.

If you buy a car without the Magride would that be the equivalent of having a Magride car set on "tour"?

No. Magnaride's "bandwidth" (so to speak) is far wider than the fixed valve shocks on a base car. MR's valving ranges from "softer" than base to almost as agressive as Z51.

In addition, because the speed at which the damping changes, a MR shock can control the wheels in a manner that is impossible for a fixed-valve shock to acomplish.

Executive summary: If you want the "Corvette experience" to come with a ride that mimics a Cadillac, order F55.

No. Magnaride's "bandwidth" (so to speak) is far wider than the fixed valve shocks on a base car. MR's valving ranges from "softer" than base to almost as agressive as Z51.

In addition, because the speed at which the damping changes, a MR shock can control the wheels in a manner that is impossible for a fixed-valve shock to acomplish.

Executive summary: If you want the "Corvette experience" to come with a ride that mimics a Cadillac, order F55.

Sounds like a vast improvment over stock and even the z51 package

I have a 2007 6 speed Coupe 1LT. I just changed the stock front and rear stabilizer bars to the Z06 bars (wow, are those much larger). There is a huge difference going around corners. It has a bit more of a bounce but not crazy. I do feel every pot hole, but no big deal for me. That's the Corvette "feel" I like.

Hib,

I'm wondering if I also add the Z06 shocks if I'll be going too far. I've always liked a stiff ride in a corvette.

To compare, I had a 2002 Z51 6 Speed Conv. and added the Z06 rear stabilizer bar and the newer valved 04 Z06 shocks. I really enjoyed the ride even though others that tried this didn't like the "shock bounce".

Chuck M

Both my C6's are MagRide. The ride is totally different from any fixed shock valving in the Tour mod and very near Z51 when set to Sport. Test drive one and find a railroad track / 2-lane crossing and then drive over it several times in both mods to see the difference.

Sounds like a vast improvment over stock and even the z51 package

Yes...and no.

MR is a vast improvement in ride over a base suspension. It offers a noticeable improvement in handing over a base car but...on the base car and the F55 cars you still have the base level (ie: soft) springs and stabilizer bars.

That said, Z51 not only includes fixed-valve shocks tuned for handing but Z51 also has higher wheel rates. A base car with F55 is not going to handle better than a Z51 when driven hard because the Z51 has 1) more roll stiffness and 2) better tires.

Ride and handing executive summary

base: Good ride and handing.
F55: Outstanding ride and better handling.
Z51: Acceptable ride and very good handing.
Z06: Acceptable ride and outstanding handing.
ZR1: Very good ride and very good handing...phenominal power, too

Ride and handing executive summary

base: Good ride and handing.
F55: Outstanding ride and better handling.
Z51: Acceptable ride and very good handing.
Z06: Acceptable ride and outstanding handing.
ZR1: Very good ride and very good handing...phenominal power, too

If I understand your summary Hib, the Z06 has better handling than the ZR1?

Jason

Jason

Which seems counter-intuitive. If the ZR-1 is the 'Uber-Vette,' one would think it would have outstanding handling.

Jason

Ok, I'll qualify that statement by saying that's what I believe and admit, it might not be true.

I've never driven a 3rd gen ZR1 and probably never will. My statement was made based on what I've read about the car in the public domain and what I've learned about the car from sources at GM.

My belief is that the ZR1 is more a luxury GT and the Z06 is a more a high-performance sports car.

My belief is that the Z06 is more of a hardcore driver's car than is the ZR1...sort of like how, in the C4 years, a Z51 or a Z07 was for hardcores and the 2nd gen ZR1 was a little more soft around the edges.

Obviously, the recent run Jim Mero made around the 'ring seems to indicate otherwise, but remember, the ZR1 has 130 more horsepower.

Also, in this context, "handling" refers to the car's ultimate cornering power. I think the ZR1 being heavier also might impact this issue.

If I were buying a new Vette (yeah...like I really have the money) I'd buy a Z06 but I wish they had a "0LT" option which would allow on to buy a really, basic, "stripper" Z06...cloth seats with no power. Manual air, cheap sound system, no nav and no run flat tires.

I remember GM was going to make the C5 hardtop a basic Corvette with no frills. That never happened probably because the cost to remove the options on the production line was close to even or more than just leaving them in.

A super stripped Z06 sounds nice to me.

Chuck M

I have a C6Z (2LZ) and have flogged a 2007 (3LT) Z51 manual and a 2007(3LT) base manual with 2.56 gears. I've also flogged a 2008 (3LT) Z51 with an automatic. Here are my findings~

My C6Z is a very well "balanced" package. The torque doesn't really over power the handling/suspension. The cabin heat makes the car no fun to drive during the summer months. It turns very flat.

The 2007 Z51 feels a little weak but that could have been the algorithyms set by the owner. I drove the car and it "came back" after a while. Nice car and very capable. Leans very little in turns.

The base 2007 was flogged from day one and feels almost as fast as my Z06. Where my car spins it's wheels, this car just hooks up and drives. It is noticable when higher speeds are reached that it lacks however. This car is driven aggressively. I notice that it leans quite a bit compared to the first two. It feels as though it has more power because it has taller gears so it requires less shifting in town. The tunnel heat issue is non existant here.

Now, the last one. The 2008 Z51 automatic (3LT.) The owner has had his car back a couple times to "reflash" the tranny as it has "learned the drivers' algorithyms" and the car is slower than all the above. It's a nice car but since it's slower, it feels heavier or less "athletic." It handles very well and turns more precisely than the previous Z51.

All of these cars are 100% "as delivered" stock and owned by the original owners. No tuning, no CAI, no aftermarket exhaust systems. Zero, zip,nada.

None of these cars are converts, BTW.

I remember GM was going to make the C5 hardtop a basic Corvette with no frills. That never happened probably because the cost to remove the options on the production line was close to even or more than just leaving them in.

Chuck M

Unfortunately, it'll probably never happen. With the 1LT at about 7% penetration, the marketing weenies at Chevy would never decontent more than that.

It'd be great if the C6 Z06 became a sort of "club sport" type of product with no frills but unfortuantely, as the customer base continues to age and be more interested in the look and the gadgets rather than driving the car to its limit, the chances of that become more slim each year.;shrug

Chuck M

interesting.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom