Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Won't Start, All pulleys locked

Corvette
C6 2005
So I've had nearly all common problems with the battery of my 2005 C6. I've replaced the battery and the fusebox very recently.

Now I get in the car and it won't start. The battery shows 14.4 volts and all the accessories work fine. But when I press the start button the car just doesn't start. No noise, no crank, nothing. Then I go to the engine and check the pulleys. None of them move.

Can someone please help me?

Why aren't the pulleys moving?
Why does my car not start?

I've read about an issue with the solenoid but I don't know if that's the case here.

So I've had nearly all common problems with the battery of my 2005 C6. I've replaced the battery and the fusebox very recently.

Now I get in the car and it won't start. The battery shows 14.4 volts and all the accessories work fine. But when I press the start button the car just doesn't start. No noise, no crank, nothing. Then I go to the engine and check the pulleys. None of them move.

I've read about an issue with the solenoid but I don't know if that's the case here.

You need to do a systematic diagnosis of why the engine will not turn over, but the basics start with a carbon pile load test of your battery (even if brand new) and cables clean and tight and not twisting on the battery terminals by hand.

As far the pulleys not turning, they will not turn by hand with a belt attached, the non running engine will keep them static, if I understood your question correctly.

Are you trying to move the pulleys with a breaker bar or what? Hands can't turn belted pulleys. Not connected to your problem.

For starters (no pun intended):
1. Load test battery
2. Pull computer codes
3. Check battery ground, including engine and chassis grounds. Don't forget starter "hot" and ground connections.

Check your fuses in your fuse block. LOOK FOR FUSES THAT HAVE A BROWN ON THEM..

Last edited:

Those pulleys will not move because they are indirectly tied to the crankshaft pulley. If that moves then they all move. No way you can turn them by hand.

Those pulleys will not move because they are indirectly tied to the crankshaft pulley. If that moves then they all move. No way you can turn them by hand.
So your lights come on and you can honk the horn?

You may have a bad battery ground, or even the positive battery post may not be making a good connection to start, even though you are registering 14+ volts. Try removing each battery post, roughing up the post surfaces. Then reattach the positive and neg. posts and see what she does. Been there, done that.

I had that problem and it was in the fuse block, had some fuses that were bad.

Dang. I just saw that this thread was started in 2019. Still out in the garage trying to get it started. Time to give up. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom