Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7.R Edition - 6M versus 8A Production

WYD OPN

I've been casually keeping track of manual (7M) versus automatic (8A) cars on ebay and a few other sites, and I'm seeing a huge disparity favoring the quantities of 8A cars over 7M cars.

It seems to be at least 4:1 or more for automatics.

I know we don't have official production numbers yet, but what's your take on this?

Last edited:
It's a world wide shift to automatics. Many high end sports cars and super cars don't even offer true manual transmissions anymore. When an automatic outperforms a standard transmission in 0-60 and quarter mile times, a lot of folks will opt for the automatic. A lot of us are just lazy too.

It's a world wide shift to automatics. Many high end sports cars and super cars don't even offer true manual transmissions anymore. When an automatic outperforms a standard transmission in 0-60 and quarter mile times, a lot of folks will opt for the automatic. A lot of us are just lazy too.

I understand that, and I love the 8A. I thought it would be a more equitable ratio of manual/automatic with the C7.R, though. I have only seen one manual black car listed for sale.

And with the new 10A coming, the 7M cars are going to drop further away in comparative outright performance; also leaving the short run of 8A cars as an odd short-term drivetrain option.

Instead of a C7.R, I think it might be Callaway SC757 time when the 10A hits.

Last edited:
Doesn't the C7 have a 7-speed manual?
I asked Harlan Charles about the 10-speed auto out at the NCM Bash and was told it would not fit in the Corvette - too long. The Camaro ZL1 will get the 10A but the Vette will have to carry on with the 8A.

If I had the money to buy a new C7, I'd probably get the auto. While I like stirring the gears, the 8A is just too good.

Doesn't the C7 have a 7-speed manual?

Of course, but I have fat fingers and typed 6M instead of 7M each time. LOL. I corrected it.:L

I asked Harlan Charles about the 10-speed auto out at the NCM Bash and was told it would not fit in the Corvette - too long. The Camaro ZL1 will get the 10A but the Vette will have to carry on with the 8A.

Interesting. Good to know.:beer

If I had the money to buy a new C7, I'd probably get the auto. While I like stirring the gears, the 8A is just too good.

Agreed. I just think the C7.R in particular is preferable with the 7M, and I thought there would be a greater percentage of them ordered with it. They're virtually all 8As from what I've seen.

I just think the C7.R in particular is preferable with the 7M, and I thought there would be a greater percentage of them ordered with it. They're virtually all 8As from what I've seen.

Is that because the C7.R is supposed to represent the Corvette Racing version?
The C7 R has a paddle shift sequential trans on the race track. Only NASCAR still uses the "H" pattern manual trans.
C7.R buyers are just like the rest of Corvette buyers - buying the auto.
That's just the way it is these days.

Is that because the C7.R is supposed to represent the Corvette Racing version?
The C7 R has a paddle shift sequential trans on the race track. Only NASCAR still uses the "H" pattern manual trans.
C7.R buyers are just like the rest of Corvette buyers - buying the auto.
That's just the way it is these days.

For me, it's just a historical preference for manuals that I equate with track performance; even though the performance edge has decisively shifted to autos/automated manuals.

I hadn't realized how dramatic the shift has been toward the 8A, knowing the demographic and how many hold-outs there have been for manuals to stick around.

I wasn't prepared to see what looks to be 90%+ C7.Rs ordered as autos. I was thinking a 60/40 split favoring autos would be a significant difference.

Does nobody like the thrill of heel-and-toeing any more? The satisfaction of being part of the mechanical process?

I remember yesteryear and non-synchro manuals from the '60s and '70s. New manuals are such a blast compared to those graunchy gear-grinders. I'd think that would have an appeal to the Corvette constituency; but with all the Euro supercars going automated manual, I'm going to have to come out of denial somehow.

Ah, many of the olde farts like youse and I do NOT want to be shifting when battling arthritis, etc. Personally, I prefer the stick on sports carz like youse.

Ah, many of the olde farts like youse and I do NOT want to be shifting when battling arthritis, etc. Personally, I prefer the stick on sports carz like youse.

In daily drivers, an automatic is generally preferable. For more occasional use in a performance car, I will always generally prefer a manual at any age.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom