Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CAGS eliminator

odcraig

Corvette
2005 Silver Z51 Coupe, 1998 Red Coupe
I have just purchased a C6, and the 1st to 4th drives me crazy! I have reviewed CAGS eliminators sold at various vendors, and installation seems easy and risk-free. Are there any pitfalls I should know about? Are they all about the same? It seems too easy.

HI there,
On c6, you must make sure that you get the correct connection, as Z51 has a few other connectors that look quite similar.
Yes, its that easy once you find the correct connector.
Allthebest, c4c5

Question:

On page 2-28 of the owner's manual, it seems to say that the 1 to 4 shift light comes on only when all three of the following criteria occur:

1. engine is warmer than 169 degrees F.
2. speed is between 15 to 19 mph. (24 to 31 kph.)
3. 21% throttle or less

Would I be correct in assuming that the 1 to 4 shift could be avoided by getting the car rolling in 1st, and then snapping it into 2nd before reaching 15 mph?

Hey Carol,

If it works like the C5 (and I believe that it does)... then yes, that works.
Also any of the following will do it:
  • Get on the throttle a little more than 21% (not a problem except in neighborhoods where the speed limit is pretty slow and the neighbors are giving you the evil eye)
  • just ignore the 1-4 shift light in 1st until the light goes out, then shift to 2nd.
There are even more methods, but I can't remember now. I finally bypassed mine after having it almost a year :D

Tammy

when driving easy and the Cags kicks in I let the solenoid push the shifter over then I go into 3rd it will pull 3rd much better then 4th

I use 1-3-5 quite a bit around town :D

MsSchroder said:
Hey Carol,

If it works like the C5 (and I believe that it does)... then yes, that works.
Also any of the following will do it:
  • Get on the throttle a little more than 21% (not a problem except in neighborhoods where the speed limit is pretty slow and the neighbors are giving you the evil eye)
  • just ignore the 1-4 shift light in 1st until the light goes out, then shift to 2nd.
There are even more methods, but I can't remember now. I finally bypassed mine after having it almost a year :D

Tammy

I still have the CAGS on my '01 C5 and have learned how much throttle it takes to bypass the 1-4 shift. It does not take much to bypass it and should not take you to illegal speeds around town (you can always back down once you are in 2nd). Practice by watching the 1-4 shift light, once it goes on, then goes off you can shift quite easily to 2nd.

I thought I would get used to the 1st - 4th shifting but quickly became annoyed with it. So I ordered a CAGS eliminator from Mid America Motorworks. Installation was a snap (literally) and all I had to do was raise the left rear of the car and get underneath and disconnect the harness and place both ends of the device on each side of the harness. Now no one can tell me when and to what gear to shift into. The light, however, still goes on but the 2-3rd lockout on the stickshift doesn't engage. Smitty

Cags eliminator installed

Well, I installed the eliminator, and it was easier than I imagined. Glad I installed it, even though I was used to using the rpm's such that the 1st to 4th never really was a problem. But now, I never need to watch or listen to rpm's, especially in slow start and stop traffic. I recommend the snap-on fix, truely easy. There was even a "tag" on the connector. Couldn't have been easier.

Stop driving the Vette like a granny!!!! Give that LS what it wants.... fuel / throttle. The skip shift is VERY easy to get used to.... learn to drive through it. Don't be so anxious to shift out of first. Are you afraid your gas mileage will go down? IF that's the case, just shift to 4th!

It only took me about 2500 miles to learn how to drive through it, you can too, just a little patience.

and don't forget to :w

Drive the car in a manner that doesn't get skip shift and you don't have to spend any money. Those who get skip shift all the time and are most annoyed are those who consistently short shift out of first. Just hold that baby in first a little more. Don't drive like your grandpa.
:)

bypass the cags!!! it's only $25 and you never have to think about it again. all these posts are correct, there are plenty of ways to avoid it, but why be bothered with it. i like the freedom of not having it. just my $.02.:beer

cheers,

tom

I paid less than $20 for my CAGS eliminator. I put it on the second day I had the car. It make a great improvement, in the around town drivability.

Hib Halverson said:
Drive the car in a manner that doesn't get skip shift and you don't have to spend any money. Those who get skip shift all the time and are most annoyed are those who consistently short shift out of first. Just hold that baby in first a little more. Don't drive like your grandpa.
:)

LOL (I'm old enough to be a GrandPa)! I went for the CAGS eliminator because I didn't want to rev around in 1st gear or watch some idiot light and I don't want the car telling me when to shift. Also, the C6 and my C5 have enough torque to lump around nicely in many gear choices.

Have a nice day:)

odcraig said:
Well, I installed the eliminator, and it was easier than I imagined. Glad I installed it, even though I was used to using the rpm's such that the 1st to 4th never really was a problem. But now, I never need to watch or listen to rpm's, especially in slow start and stop traffic. I recommend the snap-on fix, truely easy. There was even a "tag" on the connector. Couldn't have been easier.

Hey OD, where did you purchase your CAGS eliminator? Thanks.

I installed CAGS eliminator on my 95 LT-1 from Ecklers. Installs & works with no hassle at all. It is the very first thing to be modified on any Corvette with a manual transmission.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom