Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

California emmissions for Military

• Thread starter Thread starter StevesLT1Vette
  • Start date Start date
S

StevesLT1Vette

I heard a vicious rumor that the laws are different for the military , as there cars can be non compliant with California and they go through different emmissions ? If not, what visuals do the technician sdo etc etc. I have a 93 LT-1, and it is not stock.

I am a military member in Southern Cali and have had to meet the same standards as everyone else. The only exception I know of is if you don't register your vehical in this state. However to get a base sticker you are required to have a current smog certificate so you really have to have it any way.

:pat Finz Up

California emmissions

The best thing to do is check with your local DMV office for laws
on for the military (THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!) As for the smog test... The car has to run clean out the pipes and the engine must have all smog systems in place and working. some aftermaket parts are legal if the have E.O. numbers. Your car will be tested at idle and at 55 mph on a dyno. Get this.. they even test the fuel
cap!! Good luck with it...

I guess I wont ask to be stationed there. I have all the smog equipment available, but not on the car. It is all bolt on. I can have th echip burnt for it also. I would be a days worth of work. The car is registered in Oregon though.

My understanding is that as long as you keep your car registered in another state you're home free. That being said, I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep from being stationed there just in case!

Military members still have to comply with Cal Smog inspections like everyone else. However it is not required to have Cal license plates.

Smog stuff in CA

California dyno tests are performed at 15 and 25 mph, not 55 mph. There are many non-urban areas in California that do not require the dyno tests at all. These areas still just use the stationary tailpipe sniffer test at idle and at 2500 rpm. The dyno tests are only required in smog "enhancement" areas such as LA, San Fran, Sacramento, San Diego and other urban areas.

The requirement for military members with out of state plates to meet California smog limits in order to receive a base sticker is a relatively new one and is not mandated by California, but by the local military commanders. I suspect that enforcement of this requirement is pretty spotty, too... My local command does not require a CA smog test for an out of state car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom