Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

California Smog

Corvette
1975 Pearl White Stingray, 4 Speed, T-Top
I have a question for those Californians with a vette 30+ years.

I have a 1975 and just received my registration papers for the DMV. My tags are up in September, so these new ones will take me through September 2005. They did not require a smog check this time. Last year they required a test only certificate, and Trix passed with flying colors (some of you may remember this was the same day that Lexus SUV backed into me and decided to leave).

So since Trix will be 30 in 2005, does the DMV have one last crack at me next year to require smog? We'd like to start thinking about adding more HP, etc but want to wait until they can no longer require smog check (obvious reasons).

And yes, I realize there is a bill on assembly/senate floor to change all this, but CURRENTLY am I done with smog checks?

Trixie said:
And yes, I realize there is a bill on assembly/senate floor to change all this ...
Gee, I was all ready to help you with some links Trix, but I see you're up on the latest news regarding the old car hobby, eh? ;)
I was handed a flyer today notifying automotive enthusiasts that the California Emissions Exemption Repeal Bill will be considered by the Senate Transportation Committee on Tuesday, June 29, 2004.
As you are aware, A.B. 2683, the California legislation that would repeal the state's current rolling emissions-test expemtion for vehicles 30 years old and older, passed in the California Assembly and will now be considered in the Senate.

The bill would repeal the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replace it with a law requiring the permanent testing of all 1976 and newer model vehicles.

A Senate hearing has been scheduled Tuesday, June 29. Even if you have called previously, please call members of the Transportation Committee immediately to request their opposition to A.B. 2683. It is important that you make your feelings known once again!

California Senate Transportation Committee
  • Senator Kevin Murray (Chair) - (916) 445-8800
  • Senator Tom McClintock (Vice-Chair) - (916) 445-8873
  • Senator Roy Ashburn - (916) 445-5405
  • Senator James Bruite - (916) 445-3688
  • Senator Liz Figueroa - (916) 445-6671
  • Senator Dean Florez - (916) 445-4641
  • Senator Betty Karnette - (916) 445-6447
  • Senator Bill Morrow - (916) 445-3731
  • Senator Don Perata - (916) 445-6577
  • Senator Jack Scott - (916) 445-5976
  • Senator Neil Soto - (916) 445-6868
AB 2683
If Passed would eliminate the 30 year rolling exemption from the biannual smog check and freeze it at the 1975 model year and before being exempt. All 1976 and newer motor vehicles would be permanently subject the biannual smog check. At this time A.B. 2683 has passed successfully through the Assembly and as of 5-27 is now in the Senate Rules Committee.

Update

This bill recently has been amended by the author to add the following:

SECTION 1. (a) It is the intent of the Legislature, in enacting the act adding this section, to ensure that vehicles, of the 1975 model-year and older are permanently exempted from the biennial compliance requirement of the motor vehicle inspection and maintenance (smog check) program.

This language, although sounding positive, does not go far enough, and gives little and most likely no additional protection from the biannual smog check program for 1975 and earlier motor vehicles.

The A.C.C.C. feels this bill is an erosion of collector vehicle rights as was achieved in 1998, By S.B.42

Please Call your Senator and express your disapproval with S.B 2683

Our arguments are the same:
  • Existing law in California exempts all vehicles 30 years old and older from emissions testing, many states have a rolling exemption.
  • California's current emissions-testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30 years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.
  • Vehicles 30 years old and older constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source for emissions reduction.
  • Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle).
  • Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air-quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!
For more information and updates concerning California collector cars and the law, visit Association of California Car Club's website. Keep the old car flame alive! :v

I posted a notice long ago to try and keep people abreast of what's happening in the hobby: Fighting The Fight. :CAC

Thanks Ken!

Here's what I pulled off www.leginfo.ca.gov on the bill:

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 2683
AUTHOR(S) : Lieber (Coauthor: Senator Machado).
TOPIC : Air pollution: smog check.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 05/20/2004

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 06/30/2004
LAST HIST. ACTION : From committee: Do pass, and re-refer to Com. on APPR.
Re-referred. (Ayes 8. Noes 2.).
COMM. LOCATION : SEN APPROPRIATIONS
HEARING DATE : 08/02/2004

TITLE : An act to amend Section 44011 of the Health and Safety
Code, and to amend Section 4000.1 of the Vehicle Code,
relating to air pollution.

Damn! I can't read that stuff. ;LOL

Does that say that the date for the vote was moved back from the June 29 date? :confused

Hmmmm . . . do you realize that if this passes, our 75's just gained a whole bunch in value? :D

Better check Calif.-DMV -website...

-Last time i checked, --the Calif.DMV does not go by any sort of 30-year thing, their cut-off date for Smog-exempt is 1973 and older, --so most people thus avoid the '74 and newer models like the pleague!! Let us know here what you find out about this status; --can't see the high-performance equipment industry allowing that silly new Democrate-legislation getting approved; --would sure put a lot of people out of work...
Sincerely, ~Bob vH

Actually, the law has been fairly recently revised. For a very long time, it was 1973 year model and older. When the 73's hit thirty, they started the rolling 30 year exemption. That is what they are now trying to change again - this time to make the 75 models and older exempt from testing and freeze it at that year. If they are going to accomplish this, they need to do it before the 76 model year hits 30 years old (actually 29, because they count from the previous calendar year).

From the CADMV website:

How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.

Example: The calendar year is 2004- 29 = 1975 exempt year model

The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

Note: Hybrid vehicles that use both gasoline and electricity are exempt from smog certification until 2011.

Bear in mind that the exemption is for testing, not for the smog equipment. They still employ roadside 'sniffers' in order to identify gross poluters and get them off of the road. I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm all for the roadside sniffers. Now, I'm not a tree hugger, but those of us that reside here in southern California have all seen pieces of junk running down the road spewing oil smoke or have sat behind someone at a stop light while their exhaust smoke made your eyes burn and your throat close up. If they are going to change the law, I would like to see them make exceptions for collector and classic type vehicles. Some states have collector vehicle laws which exempt cars such as ours from testing. That makes sense, because we have a decided tendency to keep our cars in a finer state of tune and are generally not gross poluters.

That's just my 2 cents. I don't mind testing my new vehicles (after the 5 year moratorium), but I always hated doing that to the Vette, especially since the tech's had absolutely no idea what they were doing on the older cars. Besides, in order for my '75 to pass, I have to retard the timing to around 5 degrees BTDC at idle. We all know how fabulously they run at that initial timing!!! So back it goes to 5 BTDC for testing and then as soon as I get it home, right up to 12.

Ron

rpounds said:
How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for a smog exemption?

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.

Example: The calendar year is 2004- 29 = 1975 exempt year model

The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

So if I understand correctly, regardless if the bill passes or not, I am in the clear? ;shrug

Ken, I am a little confused about that too. I will ask my boss. It looks like the hearing date has been moved to August.

From the actual text of AB2683:

"This bill would instead , commencing April 1, 2005,
exempt from the smog check requirements, and the smog check
compliance requirements, any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the
1976 model-year
."

So I would say yes, our 75's would be in the clear. Although when you think about it, if they are going to freeze the rolling 30, the 75 model year doesn't make any sense. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but 75 was the first year of catalytic convertors. Wouldn't you think that they would freeze the tests for 75 and newer? Of course, not much of anything that legislators do makes a lot of sense. I really hope that this bill does NOT pass. I think the rolling thirty is a much better deal. You know, at one time, they were talking about going all the way back into the sixties!! That would have been a disaster!! I'm thinking about my neighbor's 70 'cuda, my 68 Firebird 400, my co-worker's 67 'stang. We would have all been in trouble trying to get them back to stock . . .

From the text of the bill, which you can find here -

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2651-2700/ab_2683_bill_20040520_amended_asm.html

it appears that they are trying to make room for hot rodders by giving them cars of a certain age to be able to work with.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom