Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caliper Seal Question -

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
Ok folks here's my problem. As you may seen posted my brakes crapped out on me on the way to Bowling Grren this week. Sucking air. Where? Up on jack stands, bled them all. Air left front only. Hmmm. But....... I notice something I've never seen before. A wet area on the left side (facing the rotor) of the caliper where the seam is between the two caliper halves. Hmmm...... did I accidentally drip some fluid down the bleeder hose while I was pulling the tube off the bleeder nipple? Don't think so? So I cleaned if off real good and had junior repump the brakes again with everything all sealed up.

Well I'll be........ darned if I don't see fluid ever-so-slightly oozing out between the seam. Remember, left side seam only. Now here's my question:

Can you buy a replacement seal (I assume there is one) between the two caliper halves? I can't find my VB catalog at the moment and none of the other usually parts catalogs show any kind of seal for the two halves. Can this seal be bought or am I looking at a new caliper (and probably both front)?

Any suggestions before I bite the bullet for new calipers. I'd rather fix these as they have been milled slightly to fit my aftermarket mag wheels and I'd really like to avoid the nerve racking fun on the bench grinder like I did the first time I did this.

Thanks all............... Nut

Nut,
Get the "O" ring replacements. The old wiper style tends to lead and suck air. Since I have swapped over, I have had no trouble at all. Works great!!!

Hijinx,

I have the O-ring seals on the pistons already. It's the left seal between the two caliper halves that allows the fluid to flow between both parts that is leaking/sucking air. Unlike a piston seal problem where the cavitating pads will "suck" the air while the rotor is turning, this leak only sucked air when I applied the brake. Probably the only way I made it back another 405 miles. I limited braking only when absolutely necessary. Thanks for your input and to you too ashy22. If I have to break down the calipers to fix this I might as well replace the piston seals, boots and flexible lines too.

Thanks all............. Nut :D

Yes you can replace the O rings

make sure you file/sand the mating surfaces flat......
I use a big slab of marble with the sandpaper on it facing up and just work it back & forth...
every so often put some sharpie ( or other marking agent ) to make sure there are no HI spots.

Vig!

Hey Vig!! Great tip. I'll give it a try. I just went on VP's website and can't buy the seals separately so it looks like a complete kit to me.

Later............. Nut

(I gotta change my avatar. My Terp's boned me last night) But then B-Ball season is just around the corner. :D

Sorry, Nut, didnt get what you were saying the first time. I'll check mine. I swapped everything out when I did mine, so that may be why I didnt think about it. Hope you get it worked out.

No problem jinx. The next time I'm in Carrollton again I'll give you some advance notice. I have a supplier I visit occasionally on Century Dr. I'll let you know how the rebuild comes out. I'm heading down to the garage right now to remove the calipers.

............. Nut

Nut,

The seal between the caliper halves is nothing too special. If you don't want to buy the rebuild kit, split the halves by removing the bolts and you should be able to remove and match up the seal at any parts or hardware store for under a buck. My recollection is that there are 2 oil pasages/seals, but I don't recall if they are O-rings or a copper seal.

Nut avoids butt-whoopin

Sorry to hear that your brakes broke. I was looking forward to tannin yer hide reeeelll good.:D Maybe next time. It was a great gathering. You missed the margaritas and everything.
--Drew:w

Thanks all. I broke them open this afternoon and the left o-ring seal was badly pinched. Must have been that way since it was rebuilt over 16 years ago. Amazing it never failed before. So now I have two halves that I can't get the pistons out of. I tried blowing them out with an air gun before I broke them apart but the seal wouldn't hold air. Any suggestions?

Drew...... you have no idea how bummed I was. Believe me, it was the worst 15 hrs I've ever spent in a car. Waited all year..... and this. If I have to drive up to Frgging Nowhere one weekend we will get some golf in.

Dale..... thanks for your support. Thankfully it appears my repair cost will be minimal. Now I gotta get them repaired so I can go drag racing next weekend.

Later........... Nut

You will have to pry out the old seal

There is a metal band on the dust boot you will have to pry up to get the piston out.

Take a minute & a beer and inspect it.. If you want I can take a pix.....

Vig goes camera crazy...film @ 11:00

Vig!

Vig..... got the word this morning. A little different than the calipers on my honda and old motorcycle. The beer sounds like a good idea. Could use a couple I missed in BG.

Thanks bro........... Nut

Nut, please make a point of contacting me when you come through next. If I know in advance I will bring in the Vette and meet you for lunch or some such. I'll email you with my phone numbers.

Hijinx..... I'll give you a couple days notice next trip. Nothing for a couple months at least.

.......... Nut :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom