Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway vs. 911 Turbo

EricVonHa

Corvette
'93 6-Speed & '87 Callaway
Are the Callaway's fast? You bet! It was a beautiful day here in Pa and I had to take out the t.t. to "air out" the turbos. I was getting onto the Pa Turnpike when I caught a glimpse of a 911 Turbo pulling into the ticket lane next to me (pretty damn new one with the ugly bumper guards protruding out). I thought it was going to be a drag race launch right out of the gates, but no. We got on a good roll to about 40 mph when we both nailed it. I got the jump (instigator) and pulled up about 2 car lengths. We both stayed in it till ~130mph. Dead even.. he stayed exactly the same place in my mirror. We slowed down to pass some traffic.. After we got past the traffic that we came up on (i'm following now) he nails it and I nail it less than a split second second later. This time we ran from 60 to 120mph.. same result, no gain no loss! I kept the 'Turbo' badge in full sight through the second run. Surprised the heck out of that guy! For spending $120k or so, it should be faster!!

So, that's the 1st Kill Story on the new Callaway Forum ! ! !

Congrats on your kill. Are you gonna put little porche's on the side of your vette like the fighter pilots do?:D Ya gotta love killing a car that costs more than most small houses.
--Drew:w

Callaway-Porsche Run!!!!

What year was the Porsche? If a twin turbo, what model?

Curious.........................

Stan

The best I can say about the Porsche is that it was blue. Not like the Admiral Blue on the Vettes, a little darker. It had the slits in underside of the front fascia for better cooling and also had the front "bumper guards" that look like someone stuck two bricks on it and painted them to match. The wheels? From going through the toll booth, I remember that the most seeing multi large spoke wheels with the slightly twisted spokes and the BIG brakes. Lastly, just the word "Turbo" on the rear deck lid. I don't know much about Porsches, but from what I remember reading, the openings in the fascia were recently added. Year? I gotta guess 2000+ Anybody?

Which Porsche?

You are describing a 1997 Porsche Twin Turbo. That year would be a good match for the Callaway TT. He has almost the same horsepower but the Callaway leaves him in the dust when you compare the torque of each car ( almost 200lbs more ).

However, watch those guys. a quick "turn of the screw" regarding the boost control and they are hitting the three quarter point to 500 ponies with no other mods. Many of the twin turbo Porsche produce more power than claimed. Porsche has had the reputation of understanding their power numbers over the year.

Have fun but be careful. Callaway are rare, Porsche are not.......

Stan

Re: Which Porsche?

Stan A said:
However, watch those guys. a quick "turn of the screw" regarding the boost control and they are hitting the three quarter point to 500 ponies with no other mods. Many of the twin turbo Porsche produce more power than claimed. Porsche has had the reputation of understanding their power numbers over the year.

Stan

Are you talking about something like that little switch on the ZR-1's?

Understate their HP, gotta love that! Don't they do that just to "be on the safe side."? I've read that Z06's actually produce more HP than stated.

Power!!

You are talking about the "valet" key switch on the ZR1. I was referring to the boost control switch which is usually found on each turbo or in some cases is done electronically by a box located somewhere in the car.

Porsche has the rep of understating HP. The only reason I can find for this is that it is done for insurance reasons here in the US market. Also I believe that by understating, every car will meet the claim. Unlike here in the US. Most cars usually hit the plus or minus 8%-10% up or down on the manufacturers claim. Quality control issues on larger productions.

Most of the Z06, both years, have more HP than GM Chevy claims. This is only the second time in the modern era that an American automotive manufactures has done this. The first was on the LT4 which has averaged better than 350hp per car based on our companys testing as well as many independent owners have found out by dyno their cars.

Take care,
Stan

So you're actually getting more HP for your money than expected huh?

Remember that thing Ford had a couple of years ago with the Mustang Cobra coming up short on the dyno? That must be pretty embarrassing for that to happen to a car manufacturer.

Embarrassing Claim

Talk about hurting sales. I heard that the number of "buy-back" was over 25% of the entire production. This is not confimed. Trust is hard to come by especially when people have found Ford to be untrustworthy.

Stan

Yeah, especially when you're dealing with more than $30,000. All it takes is one time and it could take years for a manufacturer to regain the trust of a consumer.

Friggin Old Rebuilt Dodge

Ford? Untrustworthy? Naaaaaaaaa. Hey--somebody lend me their pinto--I wanna take a shot in the rear just for sh!ts & giggles. How about a nice ride in an explorer? I hear they really like to rock & rollllllll. I got it...lets mount the gas tank right behind the driver in our new (1970s)pickup truck, I'm sure it won't just blow up on impact, or how about marketing our new (1974) mustang II as a mustang. The public will never know.

I wouldn't own another ford if you paid me. The mustangII was enough, but atleast I was smart enough to trade it for a 77 Camaro RS. Hey--we are all 17 at some time in our life.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom