Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway VW - awesome!

*89x2*

...and for sale:

1980 MK1 Scirocco 123K Miles Quite Possibly the cleanest one on the planet! Zero Rust 5 speed Calloway Turbo (In 1980 Calloway added a turbo and beefed up the suspension to 100 cars Kind of like a mini Shelby thing) Original paint and it looks great Brand new tires New aftermarket seats Back seat recently redone Door panels redone Keyless entry (even opens the rear hatch) New carpet New CD/MP3/USB capable Kenwood stereo Focal speakers (Front) Ken Wood 4 channel Amp Minor things that need to finished up: rear panels need to be redone and installed. Stock panels were Red. I changed out the carpet and the front door panels and redid the seats to change the interior color from Red to Black. I have the rear panels and they are in good shape. Rear speakers could easily go in these panels. Rear deck lid needs to be carpeted in black it is still red. Right rear tail light needs to be replaced. Download a zip file with lots of high res pictures here (41MB file): download.yousendit.com/099EF86A6215E66D I love this car and hate to sell it. The only reason I am is to fund a new business. $8K obo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volk...oryZ6060QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

20e4_3.JPG

That is a car that someone put Callaway bits on. The dash plaque was purchased off ebay, as Tim has been selling the left overs lately. Since I have a real Callaway I know that Callaway didn't put the VIN on as a serial number. Second, that dash plaque was the one that was included in a Callaway kit. Cars converted in Old Lyme, CT had a different plaque. And third and forth but probably not last...wrong vacuum advance and incorrect control pressure regulator.

That is a car that someone put Callaway bits on. The dash plaque was purchased off ebay, as Tim has been selling the left overs lately. Since I have a real Callaway I know that Callaway didn't put the VIN on as a serial number. Second, that dash plaque was the one that was included in a Callaway kit. Cars converted in Old Lyme, CT had a different plaque. And third and forth but probably not last...wrong vacuum advance and incorrect control pressure regulator.
It's good we have an expert here. :upthumbs

Well, it's obvious. What a great new looking plaque. My original 25 year old plaque looks like sh*t. What you see on my website is a reproduction. This was done for two reasons. First it looked like crap after 25 years of exposure and was barely readable. Second, some jerk off might steal it at a car show, and then it would be gone forever.

Thanks for sharing that info - I thought the car was a cool car (and still do) however, your knowledge certainly puts its value into a slightly different perspective :cool

Thanks for sharing that info - I thought the car was a cool car (and still do) however, your knowledge certainly puts its value into a slightly different perspective :cool

Chris,

you should have jumped all over the black "rotten" Scirocco which was for sale some time ago.

that was a real original like Steve's Rocco #10.

but maybe that white Porsche 944 Callaway Turbo is a nice car for SuperNAT ;)

It even has a backseat for the kids. :upthumbs

Hi. I just registered here. I'm very active in the Scirocco community under the same screen name. I bought this car in December.

Steve, I am certainly interested in your input in the subject but (1) I'd like to know what the source of your info is and (2) I'm wondering why you didn't mention any of this in my vwvortex.com thread.

It's pretty likely that ebay didn't exist when that plaque was installed. This car is sitting in my garage. It's a clean midwest car and the condition of the plaque is consistent with the rest of the car. In Reeves' email to me, he didn't mention any of the facts that you point out. Verifiable info about these cars is hard to come by, but I do know a few things:

Your car was produced as a special edition in 1982 and delivered through VW dealers. So were cars like mine. It is likely that the "MK2" body Sciroccos (such as yours) had a different plaque than "MK1" models (such as mine). Callaway didn't put the vin on 82 Sciroccos, such as yours. Did they put it on cars that they prepared in 1980? Likewise with the style of plate they used.

Plates were included in kits that VW dealers installed themselves, as well as kits that were installed by shops. Kits were installed at Old Lyme, as well as by the dealers themselves.

As far as the fuel injection bits go, literature from the time indicates that the cars had the original injection and emission parts. Perhaps your car has been modified.

I'd sure like to learn more about my car. If you let me know the sources of your info, it would help me in the quest to get my facts straight. I've already spoken with Turbo Tim and Callaway Cars.

Jim

Hi. I just registered here. I'm very active in the Scirocco community under the same screen name. I bought this car in December.

I'd sure like to learn more about my car. If you let me know the sources of your info, it would help me in the quest to get my facts straight. I've already spoken with Turbo Tim and Callaway Cars.

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome overhere :upthumbs

About retrieving historical facts of the car, will be a hard job.
I am gathering all kinds of information on the old Turboprojects for years now and am not getting closer to facts as what I can read in the old magazines and brochures.

Reeves is very fond of the early Turbo projects Era and loves to daydream about these. But real facts have not surfaced the waterlevel yet.
Tim is a very good buddy of mine and I love to chat with him about Callaway and ND setups.

About these dash Plaques I can only say I have a few in my collection but never seen of heard about them in magazines or original Callaway brochures
even NOT about them in special Scirocco series like the one Steve has.
That info has never reached me from another source.

My 2cents about the kit is that you cherish it and make sure you keep the original components like original stickers,

I will build my mk1 kit stage 2 in a 1992 rabbit Convertible but it will never be original or genuine. WELL, beep it. :ugh

It is Powerfully Engineered Automotive History we all should keep alive together. :upthumbs

that is why I am building a website (sorry for the slow progress) and gather as many facts , brochures and information as I can find.
There should be a registry with privacy settings when required but each and every part outthere should be located and registered.

That is what I like about the Callaway enthusiasts and owners group.
The Corvette section has found its home with the effort of Chris and the Corvette action center Crew overhere.

Now recently a general Callaway section was opened and to my joy I see other Callaway owners and enthusiast are trickling in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom