Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaway1988's car!! Lots of pics

S

SurfnSun

I met Billy on friday and we chatted for a few minutes before I had to run back to work.

What a beautiful car and its got some poke! We didn't get to go for a real ride but those 3.73 rear gears are awesome.

88026a.jpg

88026b.jpg

88026c.jpg

88026d.jpg

That looks like a fine specimen!
:beer

-Luigi
:cool

I didn't have time for a proper cleaning before pics, so a rinse job had to do. Nice to meet Josh and look forward to "showing" him the car when we both have some time. It is the first pics with the refinished wheels. Thanks for posting them.

Nice car and pictures. Why the hearter hose routed above the accumulator? The Dymags look great, very shinny. What exhaust tips is on the car? It does not look like the cover that Callaway uses, Almost like one the newer Lt1's. Even the A/C compressor hose adapter is polished. Nice looking car!

The exhaust tips appeared to be LTx tips welded on muffler eliminators. The car sounded good. It had a nice burble.

The motor had to be rebuilt after the last owner..could be why the heater hose is there.

The exhaust tips appeared to be LTx tips welded on muffler eliminators. The car sounded good. It had a nice burble.

The motor had to be rebuilt after the last owner..could be why the heater hose is there.
Thanks Josh
Why the motor rebuild, High miles or abuse/neglect from the previous owner?
I just removed the mufflers and added megahones to my 88. It did not increase the sound very much. Boost seems much quicker now. This could be due to the change of the converters.

Thanks Josh
Why the motor rebuild, High miles or abuse/neglect from the previous owner?
I just removed the mufflers and added megahones to my 88. It did not increase the sound very much. Boost seems much quicker now. This could be due to the change of the converters.

The previous owner was an idiot and trashed the car on the track. But plus side is that Billy ended up with perhaps the deal of a lifetime on a super clean CTTC that needed a new motor and turbos.

The interior of the car was in excellent condition as well.

Arnold, get yourself a dual 3" exhaust all the way back :upthumbs The boost will come on so hard it might scare ya the first time :L When Im ready to buy, if I end up with a car other than #48 I probably won't mess with the intake manifold again. Too much of a hassle to pull and reinstall. Wonderbar, Dual 3" exhaust, tune.....and perhaps a compressor upgrade if Im feeling sporty :D

Nice looking car! I love that color. Are those custom emblems on the sides of the hood and the rear?

Since you mentioned the motor, was it done by Callaway? Or someone local? Any "upgrades" to the motor over what would have been stock?

Nice looking car! I love that color. Are those custom emblems on the sides of the hood and the rear?

Since you mentioned the motor, was it done by Callaway? Or someone local? Any "upgrades" to the motor over what would have been stock?

Don't know about now, but the previous owner said the car made 640hp, or something like that. Pretty impressive, with the stock Wonderbar!!!

What car number is this?

Those are some clean Dymags!

Very clean car inside and out! Also a nice color so see on a convertible.
But why is the intake normal and not black? And are you going to refurbish it (black) somewhere in the future? Enjoy the Callaway! :)

Groeten Peter

Wow! I am overwhelmed by your kind comments about the car. So to answer a few of the questions raised and to pay credit to those who have helped me with the car.

I had the wheels redone by Ye Ole Wheel shop. A recommendation of this forum. It took a while, but, as with most things, it is worth it. They are beautiful. One was in bad rot/decay condition, so it took some time to prepare properly.

The turbos were almost totally lost. Callaway had them for months before finding enough parts to rebuild both of them. The engine was a rebuild by Lamar Walden Automotive in Atlanta. They are quite possibly one of the best at building performance engines if you have some dough. The engine has too many upgrades to list in this forum. The original black intake just plain disappeared before I became owner of the vehicle. I replaced it with a larger tuned system from TPIS. Larger tuned runners and larger plenum to match the machine work on the heads.

I have the original convertible top still on the car. One small spot on it back corner. It needs the plastic cleaned.

The driver seat bolster leather had a small repair done last year.

The car still only has maybe 23,000 miles on it. I finally replaced the last of the original tires last year while I had the wheels off.

The decals were on the car when I purchased it.

If someone will send me a detailed pic of the engine compartment, I will try to run the hoses correctly.

The car is a beautiful color. I don't know how many of them were made with this color in 1988 with the B2K option, but, I would probably say very few. Someone here called the car an SE. (special edition?) I haven't done much homework on this car's option list, but, everything it came with, works! I actually met the car's first owner at the dealership where I am employed. He had stopped by to view another corvette, and we began to talk car talk, that's how I found him.

As I have said in another thread, I hope to get a new microfueler for this car to help with a lean condition it has at 4200 rpms and above. I talked to the company this week about making one for me. Then maybe, a wide open throttle test would show some nice hp and torque ratings.

Sorry if I got a little long here. Thanks for the help and the encouragement along the way. :upthumbs

Billy: Great job with the car. The details are looking good. Always something more to do on these as they get older. That color was one of the 2 colors I hunted for when I was shopping. Would be interested to hear what you do with micro-fueler and your modified engine. I know that there is a lot more of this type of electronics than in 1988! :upthumbs :w

very nice car, :w

I already knew the story of the car but never saw the result

WOW :eek:hnoes scary numbers on the performance, makes me feel wanting to be a passenger sometime, or a driver ;)

Billy: Great job with the car. The details are looking good. Always something more to do on these as they get older. That color was one of the 2 colors I hunted for when I was shopping. Would be interested to hear what you do with micro-fueler and your modified engine. I know that there is a lot more of this type of electronics than in 1988! :upthumbs :w
Look for the thread by Boostedmaxpsi. He detailed the upgraded micofueler upgrade/replacement. He said it is a must have controller.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom