Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Camaro seat belt install

wipeout

Corvette
77 black coupe
Hi,

I have searched the forum on how to install seatbelts from a camaro 82-92. Now I have a 77 vette so it has the lap and shoulder belt.

Is the install only for the rear lap belts. Or would the rear lap/shoulder belts work. Obviously I would prefer the lap shoulder belts. Thanks

The wording on your question was a bit confusing to me, but here goes. I have a '72 convertible. I installed the rear lap/shoulder belts out of a 2000 Camaro. From what I've read, '92-'00 will work. The retractor mounts behind the seat, and the anchor mounts under the seat. Works very good.

I have installed the rear belt from a 4th gen Camaro in my 75. I removed the part that attached the 4th gen belt to the seat, then used the part from the Corvette belt that attaches it to the pillar. This gives me lap and shoulder belt.

IIRC I had to remove the buckle from the belt temporarily and then reinstall after feeding the belt through the loop (to attach to the pillar) from the 75.

I can't tell you if it is as safe as getting the correct belts but I am figuring it is good enough for my safety, so you can make your own call on that.

I still need to figure out how to cover the retractor in the back.

I did the same as L-48 works well. my orignal covers covered my retractors on my 75

So, the lap, shoulder belt from one of those camaro's will fit right in place in a C3? My 76 has aftermarket lapbelt, but I'd like to get something like this going - anybody have an "in process" pictures from start to finish?

Can you use the stock seat belt receivers with the F-body seat belts?

Just a note about installing late model camaro seat belts in an early corvette.
I tried this yesterday and it didn't work. The stock corvette interior cover is too small. I tried to modify the camaro belts and it still did not fit in the cover housing. The camaro belts would work if the corvette cover is either modified or removed, I did not want to do that.

I hope someone comes up with a good and EASY retrofit. I took my old retractors and mechanism apart and put in belting out of a Cadillac. What a pain in the butt. Only had the patience to do one side. Sad thing is I am not real sure my tack welds on the retractor will hold up in a crash situation.

It looks like the top ones are the back seat ones , on my 75 the stock covers work I don't remember anyone really noticing until I point them out the only issue really is removing the buckle and threading it thru the top pillar rings which most people don't even do,but I'm missing those rings so I haven't yet I'm still looking for the rings

Just another option, I had my seat belts redone by SSnakeOil and they are great, it was expensive about 350.00 but well worth it. They look great and work great.

Just another option, I had my seat belts redone by SSnakeOil and they are great, it was expensive about 350.00 but well worth it. They look great and work great.
You got a better deal than i did. My belts were right at $600. I've had them done about 2 years ago and now my drivers side retractor has failed (its seized up some how)...Im need to call them to see if they'll warranty them or not but i figured i'd get some Fbody belts. http://www.corvettefaq.com Theres a how-to on CorvetteFaq for swapping in the 4th gen belts

Do it the right way!

Hey wipeout
I agree with 76okievette, I got a quote from SSnakeOil just to re-web, as webs had been damaged on the door posts.
They quoted $75 per belt plus postage which I thought wasnt to bad.

Surely it must be better to get the originals remanufactured professionally with at least 12 months warranty, than some second hand belts that are warrantied till you walk out the front door. Plus my understanding is that belts once stessed in an accident, it should not be reused (maybe thats just retractables?). So a lot of second hand ones from wreckers must come from auto accidents, so maybe questionable anyway.

Think of it this way, Even if they do cost $600 to replace, how much is saving your A$$ worth to you, if you are unlucky enough to be in a car accident?
It just seems commonsense to me!

And to the dude who re-welded up his own retractors - gulp!
Your a ...............brave man????

Just my $0.02 worth.

Grant

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom