Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Camshaft installation

eboch

Corvette
2005 C6 Z51, 2003 C5 Z06, 1987 C4 conv
I've heard that the camshaft on these motors (2003 LS6 5.7L) can be removed/installed without removing the intake manifold and removing all the lifters.

This doesnt make sense to me ..... but I thought I'd check the story before I pull it all apart. Does anyone know how to do this procedure?

Thanks
eboch

yes you can as there are plastic lifter trays that are supposed to retain the lifters in their upper position. they dont always work, so some guys use magnets as a failsafe to hold the lifters up.
You simply pull the pushrods out, rotate the camshaft, and pull it out.

peace
Hog

Thanks Hog;

... so how do the cam lobes push the lifters up high enough that the cam bearing mains can clear underneath them as you pull the cam out? ... or os that where the magnet comes into play?

eboch

You actually need 16 "pen magnets" that get inserted into the push rod holes in the head that will hold the lifter up and away from the cam and the mains. There is a process to rotate the crank to get each lifter at the top of the cam lobe and then get it high enough into the lifter tray to allow the magnet to snag it. There is also 2 pilot holes running the length of the engine block on each side, a dowel or metal rod can be inserted into them to keep the lifters from falling back into the engine once the cam is removed.

By far not a simple job, but you really can do it with the intake manifold in place.

Thanks warren s.

Sounds like its all doable with the intake left in .... but I'll probably end up spending as much time fiddling with it as it'll take to just remove the intake.

Is there anything special about the instake removal on the LSx engines? (... btw ... I havent read anything that leads me to think there is).

Cheers
Erik

.... took the intake off .... doesnt buy anything since you cant get at the lifters from there ..... the valley is all cast in (on an LS6 motor). Reverted to pulling the cam with lifters left in .... works like a charm. Rotating the cam continuously as its extracted does in fact bump the lifters up and out of the way .... and they stay up and out of the way. Perfect.

eboch

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom