Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

camshaft trashed!!

Overhaul the engine.
How many miles were on it when it failed? Does the valvetrain have any aftermarket parts? Is so, what? Lastly, what oil were you using in the engine?

Yes... you had informed everyone that since #8 intake and #7 exhaust were wiped, you were going to do an overhaul.

Did you decide on the camshaft kit?

being before I took the job on I pulled the dipstick and nothing was there. I had to add 4 quarts to get it near the full mark! Metal grit throughout oil pan!

how long was it driven without oil?

And what are you holding in that picture? It almost looks like a lifter.

Yes its a lifter, 1 of 4. The oil was ultra black and sat in this condition for 2 years.

There is a widely-held book on rebuilding small block chevy ... zillions have used it ... it's a great book (may be the best) for novice or someone who hasn't tackled it in years. Title "How to rebuild a small block chevy" ... often at local & online bookstores ie amazon, B&N, walden etc ... probably around $20.

surely such a project warrants possibly the best $20 spent?

I highly recommend it here.

There is a widely-held book on rebuilding small block chevy ... zillions have used it ... it's a great book (may be the best) for novice or someone who hasn't tackled it in years. Title "How to rebuild a small block chevy" ... often at local & online bookstores ie amazon, B&N, walden etc ... probably around $20.

surely such a project warrants possibly the best $20 spent?

I highly recommend it here.

Yes! I had that book in high school when I rebuilt my beloved 70 Camaro engine.

It's a great book --- I learned alot from it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom