Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can 275x40x17 & 315x35x17 tires fit on a 86 Vett?

bobavett

Corvette
1986 C4 AUTO Torch Red Tan & Black Interior Coupe
Hi all

Just a question for forum members.

I have a 86 Vett. I want to run 17 inch 1988 rims (plus adapters) with a 275x40x17 & 315x35x17 tire combination with factory Z51 suspension setup.

Has anyone run this combination on a early model vett such as mine?:duh

Should I run 285X40x17 on the rear.

I like the staggard look on the C4's.....:upthumbs

depending upon the offset of the rear wheel, yes, 315's will fit fine. Actually, they can fit a bit better than on the 88+ cars because the rear spindles on 87 and earlier cars allow them to tuck under nicely. :beer

Thanks for that.

I have also read that earlier rears have more room. I am assuming that the standard adapters such as ECKLERS etc sell would be OK to use?

Hi

That is some SERIOUS rubber you are running on your Vette!

I'm happy to run the 315's just on the back and 275's on the front w/88 Vette 17inch Wheels.

I'm told that I will have to run spacers/adaptors though!

Regards

Darren

The wheels will work fine with 3/4" (18mm) adapters and you can run 275/40 tires in front. The 315/35 tire is IMHO a little too large for the factory 9 1/2" wide wheel. The sidewall will have an outward angle to it and look different. A 285/40 tire will work fine in the back and in front too. You can run the 285 tires on all 4 corners and you will be able to rotate the tires for longer tread life.

One problem with 315/35-17 tires is that there are not too many tire manufacturers making that size.

I run 275/40 tires on my 87 but I use a ZR-1 style wheel with a 38mm offset so I don't need adapters. No clearance problems and the car is used for autocross so there I do some full-lock turns and do get some body roll.

The wheels will work fine with 3/4" (18mm) adapters and you can run 275/40 tires in front. The 315/35 tire is IMHO a little too large for the factory 9 1/2" wide wheel. The sidewall will have an outward angle to it and look different. A 285/40 tire will work fine in the back and in front too. You can run the 285 tires on all 4 corners and you will be able to rotate the tires for longer tread life.

One problem with 315/35-17 tires is that there are not too many tire manufacturers making that size.

I run 275/40 tires on my 87 but I use a ZR-1 style wheel with a 38mm offset so I don't need adapters. No clearance problems and the car is used for autocross so there I do some full-lock turns and do get some body roll.

:)Hi

Thanks for your thoughts ....

I must admit I am a little sceptical about the 315's on the back .....

I have seen the 285's advertised and as you suggest it may be the better options .....

I'm running the factory 16's at the moment but think the C4's look best with the biggest rubber available .....

I'm going to import the tires/wheels from the US so I don't want to make a mistake.

I have factory Z51 suspension so I won't play with the ride height ....

I have been advised to stick with 275's x 40 x 17 as the 'best' setup but I do like the 'staggered' look on C4's ....

have you any photos with your wheel/tire combination ?????

Cheers

Darren

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom