Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can someone explain the benifits of Competition mode

guitarbare

Corvette
1990 ZR1 Dark Red / 1957 C1 Red /Red 1996 Grand Sp
Please I have read the factory explanation but it falls short of what happens when it's engaged..

larry

1999 C5
1996 GS
1990 ZR1
1957 C1

There are two systems controlled by the little button on the console. One is traction control. It is designed to limit wheelspin during acceleration. It works by modifying engine timing, throttle application, and brake application. The second function is a stability control system. There are yaw sensors in the car that are compared to steering wheel position, etc. The computer determines if there is more car rotation than anticipated. If there is, the system selectively applies brakes to the appropriate wheels to bring the car back to a stable position. I think it also modulates throttle. These descriptions may not be technically correct, but you get the idea.

I leave all the systems on for normal driving. Why disable safety systems for normal driving? I turn both off for autocross. I want to be able to control car rotation without having to fight the computer system. I use the competition mode at the drag strip. It turns off the traction control but leaves the stability control on. I want some wheelspin (only a little!) at the strip, but I want the stability control. It might keep me off the wall if I screw up.

Does this help?

Thanks this sorta explains what I suspected

Ok ,so this systems is like ASR on my older models but with the competition mode engaged it turns off only the ASR and leaves the active handling on.
I see the benifit of that, of course you can turn of the entire setup which could be benificial if you want some break loose control for gymkana...

Larry

As stated above, "Competitive" mode turns traction control (ASR)off but stability control (AH or "Active Handling") on.

The intended applcation of this is track day road race events or autocrosses and unless you are a top tier autocrosser or road racer, use competitive mode. Only very experienced (ie: championship caliber) drivers should run with both AH and ASR off. Only the John Heinricy's of the world will be quicker with the system off.

Thanks Hib it gives the driver an edge

So this system is obviously better then my older vettes which offer basically nothing handling wise. My ZR1 offers none of these just pure raw horses no ASR and no active handling but it's predictable and is forgiving. I can't wait to see what happens at the next track event with the newer vette in comp mode vs my older ones times should improve.

Larry

Actually your ZR1 has ABS and, when the brakes are used on the track in a way to take advantage of ABS' benefits, it will make you quicker.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom