Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can you ID this hood?

77-4Speed,

It looks like the 1973-82 L-88 aftermarket version from Ecklers. I was looking for this very hood for my car but couldn't find a used one.

Eugene

Eugene,

Any idea if it is possible to convert it to the fresh air breather?

Russ

77-4Speed,

Eckler's sells a Fresh Air Chamber that bonds onto the back side of the hood for $109.99 + S&H. Their catalog says it will not work with a stock air cleaner and that you must use a L88 air cleaner.

Eugene

I've seen the air box before, however, if you look at the foremost windshield side, you'll notice that there is no fresh air intake. The entire windshield side is solid and seals to the engine compartment. I don't know if others have had to remove fiberglass when installing the "air box" or not, or if the fiberglass was added on by the original owner.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ,

I'd call Eckler's and ask what the installation procedure is. I have a 1976-77 factory Hi-Rise Hood and had thought about adding the Fresh Air Chamber. Figured if I did go that route I'd have to cut out the fiberglass at the rear which is blocking the air chamber. I changed my mind when I saw what L88 Air Cleaners are selling for.

Eugene

I have one like it that came on my 71 vette. I sanded the underside down,since it had been painted and was peeling. During the process I saw "eck" stamped on it ( I presumed it was ecklers and the rest of the lettering had been sanded off with the paint. I was going to try and open mine up near the top of the under side of the scoop and fabricate a plate for the carbs that I could seal to the hood when it closed, but that on down the road a bit.

Same Hood

I have the same hood scoop on my 62. If you look at my signiture pictures below, you can see it, especially the one on the right. It's an L88 from Ecklers, sells for $200, but mine doesn't seal at the windshield, the back (glass) side is open. Unless I'm missing something in your pictures, that one is open too. It gives you a 4 1/2" lift to use a high rise intake, or a higher air cleaner, or both. I have a support in the rear of the scoop, but sitting in the driver seat, I can watch my air cleaner, mine is wide open.

Sitting in the car all I can see is the fiberglass of the hood. There is definitely not an opening to the air cleaner. I've thought about opening it up as well, but I wanted to take a look at a "real" L88 hood to see how it is fortified.

Thanks all,

Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom