Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can you? Should you? Will you?

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
....jump in the deep end and restore a Corvette?

Read the following from the April/May/1977 issue of Corvette News, and tell us what you think. ;)

20jivs6.jpg

20jiy5t.jpg

impressive!
But what i loved about it was seeing the prices for his restoration!
$200 for all the paint, a fueling unit for $140!!!, A motor for $450, A grill for $100 and chrome for $220??!!
Man, I want to go back to 1977 prices again.
we won't even talk about the high $5.00 price of the car itself........ :D

you find the same car in the same condition today and the owner won't let it go for less than $20K!

Very Cool!

BarryK said:
impressive!
But what i loved about it was seeing the prices for his restoration!
$200 for all the paint, a fueling unit for $140!!!, A motor for $450, A grill for $100 and chrome for $220??!!
Man, I want to go back to 1977 prices again.
we won't even talk about the high $5.00 price of the car itself........ :D

you find the same car in the same condition today and the owner won't let it go for less than $20K!

Yeh a pack of smokes was only $0.50 not like now at $9-10 a pack but remember Barry we were only making about $1.50 an hour back then too. Prices were relevent when you think about it but it would be great if we could turn back the clock, wow the imaginations are going wild now! A new thread .....if you could do it over again with what you know now would you do it different! (And now answer it again, truthfully, without your partner reading over your shoulder!);) ;LOL You could start another 100 + thread Barry!:rotfl

67HEAVEN said:
And, that 16-year-old is 45 today. :eek

I wonder if he kept the car?
Sounds like my kind of guy slipping a 327 instead of the 283 by now its probably a 383 if he's kept it.:D

Great article Bob, Thanks for posting. According to my calculations the car is just about due for another restoration. :L

I loved the story! It would be fascinating to see how both the car and Rex are doing these days.

Barbie

Oh the prices!

In 72, my 68 coupe cost $300 to repaint. The job was beautiful. My 66 is now in the neighborhood of $10K to paint. Sunoco 260 was .29 per gallon. My, have times changed. Jerry

Great story

Wow, what a great read. Thanks for posting, Bob. :)

Ah, the memories-I graduated high school in 1976 and in February 1977 I was in the Navy in Holy Loch, Scotland. I still remember the cars I would find in the weeds back in Montana. '55 Chevy with 96K miles for $55. '67 Mustang with modded 302 for $125. And, I remember 2 '67 Z-28 Camaros without engines sitting in a field....sigh...

Rick
:gap

After just 11 years this car is trashed? I've got farts older than that.

67HEAVEN said:
I wonder how the young lady has weathered the last 29 years? :gap

She is probably in need of a body off resto herself. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom