Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

can't get sticker because of horn

B

bmas

Talk about being frustrated. Finally got the title to register my vette, went to get sticker and everything checked out great except the horn was not loud enough. Went to NAPA and got. a new horn and it worked last night. Went to get the sticker today and it was'nt loud enough again.
Any suggestions
thanks
bmas

bmas said:
Talk about being frustrated. Finally got the title to register my vette, went to get sticker and everything checked out great except the horn was not loud enough. Went to NAPA and got. a new horn and it worked last night. Went to get the sticker today and it was'nt loud enough again.
Any suggestions
thanks
bmas

Move to a non-communist state?

Seriously, I would go buy one of those big-rig style air horns and hook it up for the test. Afterwards I'd put the normal horn back on (maybe :))

Here's an old trick that often works.
Take the original horn and put lots of WD40 right into the opening. Slosh it around inside,empty out any excess and then reconnet it. This procedure works to loosen up the workings inside the horn and often the horn comes back to life.
Good luck.

Re: Horn

I have a horn from a '50 Chrysler that has two long individual horns about 10" long that I could give you to put on your hood! That'll be loud enough!

Sound like low volts to me but I don't know much anyway. Have you measured it while horn is activated?

I sure am glad Okla. got rid of all that safety inspection crap.

KOPBET.

:w

Wow! I never heard of this test before for getting registered, Geez, what next the Tires are not Black enough.

Question. Isn't there an adjustment on some horns for loudness. There used to be If I remember correctly?:Steer

Gentlemen, unless I have not read the text correctly, the owner of this problem REPLACED the horn with a new one and still suffered the same problem. Trying to fix the original one is a moot point.

Because of the position of the horns on the vette it is easy to see why there is a problem. But most auto stores have other replacements. Be sure to look at the decibel ratings for the various horns and settle for the one or set that is the loudest.
I went to an Italian set that is extremely loud and presents no problem waking the dead on occasion.

I'm suggesting to try the procedure on the original horn (if he still has it) because most of the time the horn just gets "lazy" and does not put out as loud a sound as original. It the WD40 loosens it up the original comes back. Try it. It works a lot of the time. I myself have done this on several cars and mechanic friends of mine do it all the time.

When you first replaced the horn, did the new horn sound louder than the old? Was it still just as loud the next day?
Was the car running when the horn was tested, or was the engine shut off? I'm thinking you might have low voltage, but need to know the conditions first. BTW, what year are we talking about, I don't think I saw it earlier.
vettepilot

Sorry Len it does not play the tune from the Godfather.

But it does play the theme from the Soprano's....

I went back through some of your previous posts, looks like we are talking about a 94 Vette horn problem. Is that correct?
vettepilot

94 vette horn

yes it is a 94 vette, sorry for not getting back, was away for couple days
bmas

BMAS,
Did you see the questions I posed a couple of posts earlier?
RE: Wondering if you had a low voltage problem, (mainly when the engine isn't running).
Not certain under what conditions they check the horn volume, when the engine is running, or not.
We don't have that problem down here, if the horn doesn't work, you learn to watch for the finger.... :L
Another thing I was thinking of, is if you aren't getting a good ground for the horn.

Just thinking out loud maybe something will help.

vettepilot

Back when I used to drive my Vette regularly I dreamt of getting an extra-loud air-horn off of a semi and mounting it close to the grille. I figured to blow folks off the road when they deserved it.

If you go that route, you're sure to pass!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom