Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't open C3 Door

M

mhc64

I've taken the week off to work on my 69. I'm in the process of replacing the exterior door handles but the door is now locked shut. My door panel is off and I can see everything. I have tried manipulating the machanism. Everything seems to move but the door won't open. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Look at the rod going to the lock. If the panel is off then it should be there in sight.The rods jam up at times, you should be able to unlatch it through the door. When you get the door open remove the latch from the door and clean it with brake cleaner, the n lube it with white grease, install and adjust the throw on the rods. The outside handle can be reached easier with the latch out too.

I just replaced my door handles a week or so ago. The only time the door became "locked" was when it actually was - i.e. the lock mechanism was engaged.

One of the horizontal rods is the lock mechanism and can be manipulated by hand from the inside. The outer door handle mechanism can be screwed in or out (the rod that hooks into the handle) and if it's not properly adjusted it won't unlatch the door. You'll probably have to play with it when you put on new handles but you can always use the inside door handle to open the door if it's unlocked.

Thanks for the help. I've been working on it this morning. I disconnected the rod to the locking mechanism and have been able move the locking lever. Everything seems to move through the full range of motion but I can't get the lock to disengage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom