Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't Open My Hood!!!

1995 RedVette

Corvette
1995 Red Coupe *Sold* 1997 Silver Coupe *Sold*
Mid America has a tool to open the hood in the event the handel fails. I have heard it mentioned on this forum before. You may want to take a look.

Brett

I brought my 91 to my local mechanic to check a Water leak? He thinks my Water pump is ready to Brake? I had some antifreeze on my garage floor, but it's not leaking now and I drove the car yesterday to heat it up and see if it is leaking and after I drove it I when to open the Hood and the Handle came loose in my hand. I can't get the hood open....He broke the handle under the Dash!
Now I have to wait till he "has time to take the bottom of the Dash off.
Help....

Thanks for any advise in advance.
Mike

The administrator advised that he is working on it. Probably for got to change the batteries . . . lol

Your're lucky it's an L98 and not the next year LT1 with opti spark. Water pump leaks usually means $500 opti spark is next. If all else fails, i read you can take off the inner fender linners and reach up to release the hood on each side. I never tried this, but I did have the inner linners off to clean them. I just bought a 93 and the prior owner had a receipt from a dealer for $790. $1.90 for a water pump gasket, $ 10 for anti freeze, $500 for the distributor ( opti ) and the rest labor. The tool works, however with the hood closed it may take some time to hit the latch. The tool comes with instructions to test it first with the hood up to gain experience. :L Good luck

Other methods

I have read many posts on this problem. I also have read some very innovative solutions without the tool from MAM. If you search here and do not find them try www.corvetteforum.com Good luck on this one

my 92 did the same thing! I was still able to grasp the cable end with a needle nose plyers and grasp the cable housing with a vise grips and by pulling cable straight out I was able to unlatch the hood! to reattach the cable ends under the dash I dissconnected the cables under the hood first then put the knobby end back where it belongs in the lever (I also jb welded it on too so wont ever come apart again) then I made the correct adjustments under the hood before closing again, has worked fine ever since

Hood

I've read somewhere that it's not as simple as buying the tool and your problem is solved. Using the tool can be very tricking. You may be in for hours of frustratuion. Just what I've read.

My 73's handle broke off and I found a long rod with a handle in the garage (about 2 1/2 ft) stuck it through the access hole and popped it open in about a minute. Still using it until I get around to putting a new cable on it!

Hood Opening Tool

Went to the geocities site and printed off the instructions for making this tool. Made one out of 1/4 diameter steel bar bar stock. It works :D but I strongly recommend that if you make the effort to have one of these things also make the effort to figure out how to use it before you need it. You have to open the door, turn the tab up, slide it through the seal and past the spring, then rotate it clockwise down into the slot beside the latch and then twist it counterclockwise to release the latch. If you haven't marked the depth to the slot and tried this before you need it, you will be SOL.:mad :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom