Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! can't see!

markmark

Corvette
2001 Z51 navy blue metallic coupe
Hello fellow Corvette lovers and enthusiests. I purchased a 2001 coupe in September of last year, and shortly therafter the display in the climate control panel disappeared. I searched past forums, and the concesis is that the panel must be replaced. Has anyone else had ths problem?:confused Is there a fix for his that I have missed?;shrug If the replacement of the panel is the only fix for this situation, Is there someplace other than the dealer to aquire this part, maybe even used? I would appreciate any help. Thank you folks in advance. c5havin. remember the wave!:w

I had to replace the head unit on my '98 last year. It was fading gradually to the point that I could only see it after dark. I'm not aware of any "fix" for it... just replacement.

If I recall correctly, my mechanic purchased the replacement unit from the dealer.

:wJane Ann

I had to replace mine as well. They are not cheap. I believe that there are people who have successfully had the lights repaired/replaced, but I do not know who does that or how long it takes. Maybe someone else will post of their experience with that. Good luck!

I had to replace one on a 2001 last year doing the samething, I got mine off e-bay for what seemed to be a good price....cheaper than the dealer anyway. Quick easy fix. Makes me feel better knowing everything works on the Vett as its suppose to !

re:can't see

Thank you Jane Ann and VTR. You folks are the best:_rock. If a replacement part from the dealer is the fix, I can live with that. A used part may give me the same problem in a short amount of time. Thank you again. c5havin Remember the wave!:w

I thought you could get them repaired

Hello fellow Corvette lovers and enthusiests. I purchased a 2001 coupe in September of last year, and shortly therafter the display in the climate control panel disappeared. I searched past forums, and the concesis is that the panel must be replaced. Has anyone else had ths problem?:confused Is there a fix for his that I have missed?;shrug If the replacement of the panel is the only fix for this situation, Is there someplace other than the dealer to aquire this part, maybe even used? I would appreciate any help. Thank you folks in advance. c5havin. remember the wave!:w

It may be on http://www.corvetteforum.com that I saw that there was a person who takes your old unit and repairs them for much less than buying new. You might check that forum if you can't find a link in this one. - Ron

It may be on http://www.corvetteforum.com that I saw that there was a person who takes your old unit and repairs them for much less than buying new. You might check that forum if you can't find a link in this one. - Ron

Good advice. Also, if you do a search on the corvetteforum, you will find many posts about re-soldering the circuit board that controls the HVAC display. I had a friend help me fix mine. Took about 45 minutes to disassemble the center console, remove the board, re-solder, and re-assemble. Now my display is as bright as ever!

If there is a "fix" for the issue, consequently saving the cost of replacement, that's great! I'm glad to hear it if mine ever goes out again.

But I'm confused, why send a member here to search another forum instead of posting the information in this thread for the benefit of everyone? Especially if you've done the repair yourself? ;shrug

If there is a "fix" for the issue, consequently saving the cost of replacement, that's great! I'm glad to hear it if mine ever goes out again.

But I'm confused, why send a member here to search another forum instead of posting the information in this thread for the benefit of everyone? Especially if you've done the repair yourself? ;shrug

Thanks for speaking for all of us Jane Ann. Since I have found CAC, my computer won't let me go to another corvette forum. I think this is my computers way of letting me know what is good for me:cool. If there is an easier way to obtain this info other than searching another forum, how about it? Families have to stick togeather.c5havin. remember the wave:w

My '02 did the same thing, finally had no visible display. I searched the archives here; there is a real FIX and it is to resolder the "cold" solder connections on the circuit boards.

For various reasons I basically no longer due much work, but I sent the link I found here to my local independent Corvette shop (Mann's) in Mishiwaka, IN. They followed the instructions and $96.00 later...FIXED. Regards, DFO :D

.......If there is an easier way to obtain this info other than searching another forum, how about it? Families have to stick togeather.c5havin. remember the wave:w

Ask and you shall receive. ;)

My '02 did the same thing, finally had no visible display. I searched the archives here; there is a real FIX and it is to resolder the "cold" solder connections on the circuit boards.

For various reasons I basically no longer due much work, but I sent the link I found here to my local independent Corvette shop (Mann's) in Mishiwaka, IN. They followed the instructions and $96.00 later...FIXED. Regards, DFO :D

Thanks for the info!
Glad to hear it in case mine goes out again. :cool

This is cake to fix. Nothing technical about it, you dont have to be a mechanic or an electronics tech.
Did mine when I took the console apart to install the screen for the computer. Took about 25 minutes to unplug it, freshen up the solder joints on the eight or so chips (they have a 245 on them) and plug it back in. Works like a charm now.
Regarding the "other" forum. You guys kill me.
This is the first forum I found, and I do stay in touch here every day, but I need all the help I can get, so I do attend other forums.
Typing with the cast on my hand (surgery today) so the odds of me typing a how to when ther are perfectly good ones done already are pretty slim.
Good luck.

This is cake to fix. Nothing technical about it, you dont have to be a mechanic or an electronics tech.
Did mine when I took the console apart to install the screen for the computer. Took about 25 minutes to unplug it, freshen up the solder joints on the eight or so chips (they have a 245 on them) and plug it back in. Works like a charm now.
Regarding the "other" forum. You guys kill me.
This is the first forum I found, and I do stay in touch here every day, but I need all the help I can get, so I do attend other forums.
Typing with the cast on my hand (surgery today) so the odds of me typing a how to when ther are perfectly good ones done already are pretty slim.
Good luck.
Hi jistari,thanks for the heads up on my display. No pun intended. When it comes to computers, I sometimes feel as if I have a cast on my head. I am presently on light duty at work from a shoulder injury, surgery coming soon. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I failed to find adequit info with my search of past forums.;shrug. You are a big help:). I hope Your surgery goes well, and You have a speedy recovery.c5havin. remember the wave:w

....Regarding the "other" forum. You guys kill me.
Good luck.

Jistari... of course we all visit other forums from time to time... nothing wrong with that at all.

But if I'm in Home Depot and someone ask me where to find something, I'm not going to send them to Lowe's.

Good luck with your surgery.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom