Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caprice for Police: GM Unveils Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

The police will be getting a Caprice -- the all-new Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle.​

As expected, General Motors today unveiled a new police car application in an effort to help the automaker gain a greater share of a market that's in flux with the future of Ford's Crown Victoria in question.​

With its new Caprice, which was unveiled at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention, GM will be joining a field that also includes the Dodge Charger version and the coming Carbon Motors E7. GM also offers Chevrolet Impala and Tahoe police models.​

The Caprice is underpinned by an extended version of the Australian-sourced, global rear drive platform with four wheel independent that's also shared with the Camaro. It will be powered a 355-hp version of GM's 6.0L V-8, with a V-6 option to come later.​

At this point, it's unclear where the Caprice will be built, but best guess at this point would be at GM's Oshawa, Ontario, Canadian plant where the Camaro is produced. Of course, this also opens the door for a return of a rear-drive Caprice to Chevrolet showrooms, but don't hold your breath.​

This doesnt look too comfortble for long term highway use but it does have its use as a city cruiser and a town "money maker" like the dodge charger hemi.:boogie
All these cars are poorly designed adaptations of standard cars. There should be REAL police cars with custom dash boards and other areas for all the LE electronics. I saw one such company on the net but have never seen one on the street.

I think it is the Carbon Motors E7 you speak of njlouc.

carbon_motors_e7-13.jpg

carbon_motors_e7_iacp_001-1110-950x673.jpg

:thumb Jason

YES!!
That is a world better.
The Chev police car seems to be placing emphasis on power/speed at the expense of everything else. This E7 sems to do very well in (diesel) fuel economy and is also VERY fast.
I like the dash. BUT it is not available yet????? So who knows what it will be.
They could build it in the Saturn plant---- that will be empty soon.

YES!!
That is a world better.
The Chev police car seems to be placing emphasis on power/speed at the expense of everything else. This E7 sems to do very well in (diesel) fuel economy and is also VERY fast.
I like the dash. BUT it is not available yet????? So who knows what it will be.
They could build it in the Saturn plant---- that will be empty soon.

I agree with you 1000% ! I do not know who at GM decided in 1993 to eliminate the Chevy Caprice police sedan. I don't think you could find a Police department anywhere in this country back in 1990 who didn't rely on the Chevy Caprice as a patrol car and whem modified, as a State Police turnpike intercepter chase car.

I know that here where I live virtually every police department here and in every township around here used the Chevy Caprice as a daily partol and chase car. They were all powered by the Chevy 350 or 400 CI V8. and when General Motors stopped producing the Caprice, the Ford Crown Vic. became the only large police car avalible and they cost $1800.00 more than the Chevy Caprice. There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer newpaper back then about how much financial trouble this was going to cause the local police departments.

I always thought someone would design a police car of the future. One built in modules. A front end section and rear section and the center or main module. And that they could b sent back to the companies producing them for a rebuild or refurbishing. If you look at UPS trucks, most of them have about 5 million miles on them. They pull them off the road every 100.000 miles and rebuild the engine Transmission, and rear diff. and install new sorings at streeting box, Put it all back together and put on a fresh brown paint job and out the door they go.

I don't see why police cars couldn't be done the same way.:w

There's definitely a market for the "police vehicles", not only with police services but also with security companies and even, in some cases, with paramedics and transit authorities... and many of those cars live a second life as taxis after being decommissioned.

The selection of cars which fit the profile is pretty slim. Ford has extended the Crown Vic line several times because the market demands are there. GM would be silly to ignore it.

-Mac

Personally I think GM would be foolish to ignore the public demand for a civilian Caprice. What happened to the cool G8 sheet metal? The pics I've seen of the police Caprice dont look nearly as good as the G8's.

I also read somewhere that there was mention of an undercover version of the Caprice. If very Caprice built is a police car... Um yeah, how does that work?

Personally I think GM would be foolish to ignore the public demand for a civilian Caprice. What happened to the cool G8 sheet metal? The pics I've seen of the police Caprice dont look nearly as good as the G8's.

I also read somewhere that there was mention of an undercover version of the Caprice. If very Caprice built is a police car... Um yeah, how does that work?

It doesn't work. Then again, how many Crown Victorias are on the road which weren't a police car at one point or another?

-Mac

Does Ford still build the Crown Vic?
Yes but they've been talking about ending production for nearly a decade. No major changes since 2003. No longer available for civilians in Canada since 2000... nor to civilians in the US since 2007...

-Mac

GMs bringing over the G8 for cops, but ignoring the mass market - still morons after all these these years. The 6 cyl G is a great family "Impala." The current Impala isn't a great anything, and is as much fun as an 84 Camry.

GMs bringing over the G8 for cops, but ignoring the mass market - still morons after all these these years. The 6 cyl G is a great family "Impala." The current Impala isn't a great anything, and is as much fun as an 84 Camry.
Only if the Camry has a flat tire... :D

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom