Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Review: Car and Driver Goes In-Depth with the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
In-Depth with the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

The Name Game: With looks inspired by the new Corvette race car and a power target inspired by the old ZR1, this thing really ought to be called something else.

February 2014
BY DANIEL PUND

2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-inline1-photo-571802-s-original.jpg

From the March 2014 Issue of Car and Driver:

What car are we describing? It’s a wedge-shaped, two-seat Chevrolet with a rear transaxle, a front-mounted pushrod 6.2-liter V-8 with an Eaton TVS supercharger nestled in its valley, and some carbon-fiber body pieces. It makes more than 600 horsepower, wears shocks filled with magnetorheological fluid, and is offered with carbon-ceramic brakes nearly as large as those fitted to the Bugatti Veyron 16.4.

If you guessed the dearly departed Corvette ZR1, you are correct. If, however, you guessed the 2015 Corvette Z06, you are also correct. If you guessed anything else, you’re reading the wrong magazine. Because of the upcoming Z06’s striking similarities to the ZR1, we’ve taken to thinking of the new car as the “ZR06.”

Yes, the rip-roaring, high-revving, naturally aspirated, 505-hp 7.0-liter LS7 of the previous Z06 is gone (though it lives on in the upcoming Camaro Z/28). That the new Z06 has a blown engine shouldn’t come as a surprise. We noted about a year ago that the standard Corvette Stingray’s instrument panel includes a digital boost-pressure gauge buried in the driver-information menus. Menus it no doubt shares with the new Z06.

Full Story: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 In-Depth Look – Feature – Car and Driver

The photo gallery at the end of the article is excellent!!

Mac

LMAO, I love that this is 'new'.

Hey, I think its amazing that AFM(active fuel management) has been around since 2007, direct fuel injection since 2006 in GM cars and variable camshaft timing since earlier than that.

Sorry, someone needs to study more!

Allthebest, Paul

Ongoing

Well, I love that we have a supreme ass-kicking Vette like this but surprised with some details. A torque-conveter auto trans? How heavy is that? Sorry, but the complicated cylinder cut-out simply does not belong in this Vette. Need to meet CAFE regs? Dump a gas-swilling pig like the Avalanche or at least the escalade from the line-up ( and before it's brought up how much money this pig brings for GM, they're prefectly capable of making money replacing a waste like that). I sure hope this one turns a Nordschleife lap time under 7:15... and that will be quite fine enough. With a few days at Bob Bondurant or Skip Barber, you'll be unbeatable in this reasonably priced, standard production daily driving Vette.

...not that I'm reaching for the wrenches, but does anyone know yet what it would take to remove the cyclinder cut-out complexity from this engine - the lifters, hydraulic system under the valley-plate, sensors, etc. I hope this system doesn't cause too much warranty cost for Chevy!

"In Depth"

No, this isn't 'in depth'! The Chevrolet site, and even Tadge Juecter's commentary at the auto show had more content.
It didn't have any more info than their published version. If you're looking for 'in depth', don't bother looking at this article. A real disapointment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom