Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car Trailer

TheSearcher

Corvette
2004 Torch Red Coupe
I am sick and tired of detailing my car before a show, then having to try to detail it again after I drive it to a show. Most of the time there is no access to wash facilities and sometimes no shade, much less adequate time.

In short, I am in the market for a trailer.

Here's what I see. A minimum of about $6,000 for a new, enclosed 20' trailer and I would probably have to crawl out through the car's top as there would be no room to open the door. Or about $2,000 for an open tandem trailer that wouldn't save me much detailing.

My 2004 is 73.6" wide; thus, a trailer with an 8' interior (excluding two wheel wells taking up about 8" each) would have 80" between the wheel wells, or an extra 3" on each side. Assuming that the driver's door would clear the wheel well. the door would open only 11" at the latch. That leaves only 3" for someone to squeeze out - no one is that thin (and living).

The window might be possible.

Anyone else trailer? Any suggestions? Know of any good buys?

Not Cheap

You need a trailer with a drivers side door so when you open the door on the vette you have room to get out. You may also have to install wide boards on the floor where the rear tires will sit or the door won't clear the wheel well. There's a number of manufacturers that make them, do your research well. Try http://www.racingjunk.com/, there's used stuff on there, also check out Featherlite, Wells Cargo, make sure who you talk to knows what you need to carry your car. Low clearance is sometimes an issue when loading/unloading, you may have to use boards to clear the ramp also. Send me your email and I'll send you some pictures of my Wells Cargo with the side door.

I am sick and tired of detailing my car before a show, then having to try to detail it again after I drive it to a show. Most of the time there is no access to wash facilities and sometimes no shade, much less adequate time.

In short, I am in the market for a trailer.

Here's what I see. A minimum of about $6,000 for a new, enclosed 20' trailer and I would probably have to crawl out through the car's top as there would be no room to open the door. Or about $2,000 for an open tandem trailer that wouldn't save me much detailing.

My 2004 is 73.6" wide; thus, a trailer with an 8' interior (excluding two wheel wells taking up about 8" each) would have 80" between the wheel wells, or an extra 3" on each side. Assuming that the driver's door would clear the wheel well. the door would open only 11" at the latch. That leaves only 3" for someone to squeeze out - no one is that thin (and living).

The window might be possible.

Anyone else trailer? Any suggestions? Know of any good buys?

Been there , bought the trailer!
I looked and looked and researched and researched and ended up with one word(well two words) Wells Cargo

You can go as fancy as you want to or as cheap. You always get what you pay for. I bought a 2008 Wells Cargo Road Force 1000
Its nothing fancy, but a nice entry level car trailer.

When buying the trailer , decide what you want in/on it and go from there. I have pulled a lot of trailers over the years ans by far Wells Cargo pulls the best. You will forget its back there!

Go to their website and let the drooling begin...

2008CorvetteHauler001.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom