Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carb question

Hi and a core charge of $40.00 was applied to the bill and if you send your core in it will be refunded. Shipping was $15.00. They made mine in two days and was in my hands in a week. They didn't have my # in inventory but have hundreds in stock with the correct #'s the persons told me. If not or you want your own remanufactured it is a two day turnaround when they get it.
I had another friend use them and he also was totally satisfied and the price was over $100. 00 less than the local auto parts store.
Good Luck , and I hope this has been of help!! Fred

Rebuilding

How difficult would it be to rebuild the primary carberator myself? I see that the rebuild kits are $25. I've rebuild VW carberators before....not hard at all. How does the Holley 3x2 compare? Thanks.

Recarbo

I just talked to Recarbo and they gave me a price of $135 to refurbish my carburetor with a two day turnaround. Sounds good to me. I'll most likely do that in the next couple weeks. I just want to make sure that that is my problem. Thanks for the info on the company.

Glad to hear they are able to help you out! If it does come to that let us know if you are happy with their works. Fred

Secondaries not coming in

This summer I did a complete overhaul on my Rochester. There are just a few possiblities why the second valve do not open.
They are controlled by a mechanical linkage to your gas cable. First thing you should do is get assitance from someone that can press the gas pedal for you without the engine running by the way. The engine should be warm to make sure the choke valve is not closed.
Take off the air cleaner and press down yourself the secondary valve on top of of the carb. This should be very easy by applying light pressure and you should not feel and resistance other than coming from the valve return spring.
Ask your assitant now to depress the gas pedal all the way down to the floor. You should now be able to see the secondary throttle blades open when the gas pedal reaches the floor. If this is not the case then either your choke is not fully open (this locks the secondary throttle blades) or your gas cable has too much slack (can happen over the years) and needs to be shortened a little.
If however the throttle blades do open then the valve blades could be either stuck to the airhorn walls or the spring is too tight for some reason. All around the valve blades there should be less than 1/10 mm room between the blade and the wall. In other words, it should run free with even spacing all around between blade and wall. If it does not run freely adjust the blades by loosing the screws fixing the blades to the shaft. Be very precise with this because the spacing is critical for proper operation. Better, have a pro do it for you.
If the blades do run freely but they get a lot of force from the spring then have the spring adjusted by a pro. I do not believe this is very likely. My first guess would be the choke that does not fully open. Check this one out first. It is also the cheapest. If it needs re-adjusting you can simply bend the rod from the coil to the throttle blade.

I had similar problems and what I just described solve the problem. When secondary stage comes in the engine now produces a howling noise that makes you shiver.

Let me know what came out of it.

Jeroen

Primary Carb Off--On its way to ReCarbco

Well,

I have the Primary off. The intake manifold was immaculate underneath. I was glad to see that. It'll be on it's way tomorrow. Hopefully get it back before the 27th...only loose one weekend. I'll let ya'll know how the job is when I get it back.

Just had my carb rebuilt, fuel line replaced, choke spring replaced....AND.....much better get up and go! No more stalling, no more hesitation!

Yahoo! I also asked them to check the secondaries, which they do, but it made me sound like I actally knew something....

Thanks for all the advice gang.

Mike

Got the Carb Back

I got it back and it looks GREAT!!! Now I have a question. Do I need to fill the fuel bowl before I try to start the car? The installation instructions warn that some car's accelerator pumps will be damaged if it's pumped with no gas in the bowl. If I do need to fill the bowl, how do I do that w/o screwing up what they fixed. :confused

Glad everything worked out. No you don't have to fill the bowl first. Just pump it a few times while it's turning over and off you go!! Fred

How are the reman. carbs holding up?

Im wondering how the carbs are holding up. Mine is shot. Im sending it in after the holidays.

Well somehow I completely missed this thread. Yes Heidi I rebuild carbs. Been doing them for 30 years. Blackdog (Jeff) sent me his from California. Apparently no one out there could rebuild a Q-jet.
Holleys, Carters, and Edelbrocks are no problem either.

Mike

JohnZ said:
How do you know the secondaries aren't opening all the way? It won't happen in the garage just by yanking on the linkage, as full opening requires the engine to be under load to generate the required airflow volume in order to open the secondary air valve mechanism.

Open the secondaries manually (engine off) and note where the secondary throttle plate shaft linkage lever stop contacts the carb at full open position; put a spot of chassis grease on the lever at that spot, take it out and nail it, and if you then find a spot of grease on both parts, you'll know the secondaries opened all the way.

Thanks for clearing that up for me I was wondering this my self on my vette I just bought.

Thanks, Chuck

1969D_Floyd said:
My '69 coupe has a Rochester carb that my have some problems. Regardless of how hard I jump on the throttle, the back two blades of the carb do not open. Shouldn't I get a secondary "kick" when I floor it? Is this a choke problem? I am worried my 4 barrel is behaving like a 2 barrel.

How can you tell that the secondaries aren't opening? Would you be able to hear that sort of thing? Or you're just not getting as much power as expected?

How would you know they aren't opening? Thanks! :D

TR

TRy Garunteed carburators in Tampa Fl. Excelent service from everyone I talk to.
Tom

Edelbrock carb

page62 said:
They are the fuel well plugs. Any decent rebuilder would have epoxied them. The original carb on my car had epoxied plugs. But in my case I decided to replace the entire carb with a new Edelbrock QJet -- that was a plug 'n play install -- works great!
Have you been very satisfied with the Edelbrock? Any problems?

George, if the edelbrock q-jet is anything like the #1406 performer carb, it will be a good running carb. i swpped a 600 holley for the 600edel. i am very pleased with the results
plus the edel is very easy to rebuild at home. reminds me of the factory q-jets. they are a simple carb also. the prices for new are too high for me. i keep searching the swaps for a good old Q-jet to play with.

Robin foot to the floor,till you pucker

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom