Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Carb tool.....where to buy?

Tommy Almond

Corvette
For these E4ME computer controlled carbs where might I be able to purchase the J-28696-10 tool to set the throttle position sensor? Also what other special tools might I need to adjust settings when needed?

Lanny tried that and using the part #s from the shop service manual no results popped up. Found sites that spoke of the tool and needing it to set TPS but nothing on buying one.

All the other tools you'll need are Thexton tools. Do a search overhere and you'll find the partnumbers.
As for the tool to set the TPS. Simply connect 3 speakerwires together, stripped on both ends. Connect it between your TPS and the TPS connector and then (or before) put your volt meter into the middle and lower wire (strip the wire a little to make it easy). Not you can read the voltage with the engine running and TPS connected. :)

Greetings Peter

Curb Idle Screw Effects on TPS?

Peter that sounds like a neat trick there so will try that.

Correct me for this is what I have been told.....if you change the curb idle setting screw on the outside of the carb then that changes the TPS and this needs to be checked? Does the curb idle have that impact on the TPS?

Also reading service manual I saw that at idle with plates closed TPS should be 1 volt and with plates open up to WOT should not exceed 5 volts? Is this correct?

It's very simple. Your ECM needs to know how open the throttle plates are (and how fast they open) the TPS is nothing more then a digital voltage reading at how open the throttle plates are.
You could be right that wide open has to be about 5.0 volts (don't know). At 500 to 600rpm it has to be 0.56V. For example, then you have 1.0V at 600rpm your ECM thinks the engine is idling around 1000-1200 rpm.

So yes when you change the curb idle screw the TPS sensor also changes position so the voltage changes to the new curb idle. On the other hand, I think the O2 sensor is the most important sensor in the system as that is controlling the M/C mixture, I don't think alot will change if the TPS sensor is set incorrectly. But for me it's just a challenge to get everything right :)
Good luck!

Greetings Peter

Peter what you are saying is making sense to me and I can tell you are way advanced on these CCC carbs than I am so thanks for your input so far.

Question on the curb idle setting, if I turned the screw in to increase idle RPM and that changed the TPS settings.....if I backed out the curb idle screw some would that likewise possibly change the TPS back to prior or close to prior setting?

Also on your wiring setup to connect volt meter to get reading, without the special tool to insert to make a TPS change what do you recommend using? Is there a "home" tool that can be made?

Lastly, I am getting an on and off Code 13, O2 sensor code so going to order new O2 sensor and swap out and see if that improves idle first. Major issue I'm having with idle is once I'll be at stop light and idle fine, 700ish rpm and next time it drops to 500 rpm or below so then have to drive like a stick car and hold brake with left foot while giving gas with right to take off without being sluggish.

Take your time with the carb, when you're doing your stuff try to think how it works. Took me some time but once you do you see why it's such a great carb!

And I forgot, you'll need Thexton 362, that has the tool to change the TPS setting (amazon has one I saw). I think it's a small 6 or 8 squared bolt so you can also look for something that will fit it. And while you're looking for them, also buy Thexton 370 if you find one, you'll need it in the future. :)

On your question, yes your correct, when you turn the curb idle screw two turns out and after that two turns in the TPS reading will be back to step one.

On your code 13, take it step by step. Could be a number of things but if your ECM is dropping in and out of closed loop there is no way to pinpoint the problem.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom