Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carlise event

WONKABOY

I have owned 3 corvettes in my 45 years and never been to Corvette's at Carlise before, well i went this weekend and i'll tell you what , it won't be my last , this is the place for any Corvette owner who's really into their Vette, it was a fun time , thousands of Corvettes , stock, custom , for sale , you name it, ton's great food, nice people, all the Vette parts you want , used or new , the parade was so awesome , i wish i had a movie camera,!!! Do yourself all a favor plan on going next year if you never been there before, you will be amazed!!

I know I should have gone... but it just wouldn't feel right without having a Corvette to me. With as much of a success as this event is, I know it will be around in the future and I will attend one year.
I am really enjoying the pictures that people are starting to post already of the show, however, I really hope people will put up some higher-res pictures. From what I have seen the pictures are great, just a bit small. Thank you for sharing Wonkaboy.

As of a week ago I was planning on taking my pick-up B/C my water pump died and I wasnt sure I was going to get it fixed on time to go..:ugh
I was going one way or the other!!!!!
an event not to be missed!!!!

Hey Bill,
Glad to see you made it home safe! Did it rain like hell there all day today? I usually go on Sundays but went Friday this year. We always take the Mrs wagon because I never know what I'm going to find. I was lookin at a pair of '461's - $125 - but I didn't think she'd be too happy if I told her to grab one and head for the car. I did end up getting a 2 X 4 progressive linkage for a mere 10 bucks tho. . . Only took one roll of pics, mostly of C1's and engines with two fours (research) and blowers (someday, I hope) Wish I would've got to meet more CAC forum people. See you next year, same time, same place!

Craig

Started raining around 9 am,and rained the whole way up!!!!!!!!!
oh well!!! see ya next year!!!!!

This also,was my first event,and I had a great time,plan on going back next year.
Was there Friday and Saturday. Weather was good both days,but a little too hot and humid Friday,but better Saturday,although somewhat overcast.

The only disapointment I had,was that Dave Mcclean was a no show,for whatever reason. Lance Miller,said they could not understand what happened,he usually is there,I really wanted to meet him,and get him to autograph my August 1981 issue of Corvette News,with the first L81 #1,coming off the line at BG. (mine is #41) which I keep on in the car at car shows,along with the build sheet and window sticker.

But I did get the rest of the Corvette team to put their John Hancocks,and talked to them a bit also.

Best part had to be the burnout show. Cant wait until next year.

Later.ken

This also,was my first event,and I had a great time,plan on going back next year.
Was there Friday and Saturday. Weather was good both days,but a little too hot and humid Friday,but better Saturday,although somewhat overcast.

The only disapointment I had,was that Dave Mcclean was a no show,for whatever reason. Lance Miller,said they could not understand what happened,he usually is there,I really wanted to meet him,and get him to autograph my August 1981 issue of Corvette News,with the first L81 #1,coming off the line at BG. (mine is #41) which I keep on in the car at car shows,along with the build sheet and window sticker.

But I did get the rest of the Corvette team to put their John Hancocks,and talked to them a bit also.

Later.ken
i saw dave walking around the fairgrounds or his twin

Later.ken

Hey ken did you see that 81 one with your color combo with 800 miles for sale $29,000 ....... Rick

I know I should have gone... but it just wouldn't feel right without having a Corvette to me. With as much of a success as this event is, I know it will be around in the future and I will attend one year.
I am really enjoying the pictures that people are starting to post already of the show, however, I really hope people will put up some higher-res pictures. From what I have seen the pictures are great, just a bit small. Thank you for sharing Wonkaboy.

I to my chevy lumina because i needed to put shocks, but next year i will bring mine hopefully painted torch red

Rick,I did see that twin of mine there with only 800 miles on it,Saturday.

Man,I thought mine was low at 42k.

30k for a 81 wow. Ken.

Did you catch the burnout show at 4pm on Friday?

Ken

"Man,I thought mine was low at 42k.

30k for a 81 wow. Ken."

I wish I could have made the show. Hopefully next year.

Hey! as you can see by my picture, I have the same color combo on my ride. I bought it from a dealer in upstate NY a couple years ago. Wasn't crazy about the colors at first, but they grew on me. Now I love that it's not a very commonly seen combo.

My vette has just over 27k on the odometer...bought it at 25k, and trying to keep the mileage low while still enjoying it. The paint has several blemishes, and I have some of the traditional cracking at the seam lines, but she's all original. I'd love to take it to Bloomington one of these years.

BURNOUTS

Rick,I did see that twin of mine there with only 800 miles on it,Saturday.

Man,I thought mine was low at 42k.

30k for a 81 wow. Ken.

Did you catch the burnout show at 4pm on Friday?

Ken

I was standing on the sideline and could only hear and see the smoke, i had that guy start your clone up, sounded nice , but with that low milage anything can go wrong from sitting to long, valve seals, etc.

My thoughts exactly,I dont plan on letting mine sit too long,even will take it out in the winter months,for a spin IF the roads are dry,between storms,which usually happens here in CT. especially if it gets very cold,and you dont have back to back storms. If not I will run it in the garage to keep the seals, from drying out.

I was fortunate;my ride was a one owner whom kept the car in mint condition,never drove it even in the rain,and I plan on following the traditon.

The paint is original and is blemish free,surprisingly,and damm close as good as the 30k clone at Carlisle.

Hey,fun81,nice L81. I give you credit,only 2k in 2 years. I figure that i will average 2-3 k a year or so. Is yours a 4 speed? Most of these color combo,s were gearboxes.

Nobody has any definative numbers,but between much web research,and talking to the folks at Corvette and the museum. Best guess estimate that i have for our color combo,only produced in 81,at BG,is anywhere between 550 and 1100.

Later Ken.

Re:4 speed

My thoughts exactly,I dont plan on letting mine sit too long,even will take it out in the winter months,for a spin IF the roads are dry,between storms,which usually happens here in CT. especially if it gets very cold,and you dont have back to back storms. If not I will run it in the garage to keep the seals, from drying out.

I was fortunate;my ride was a one owner whom kept the car in mint condition,never drove it even in the rain,and I plan on following the traditon.

The paint is original and is blemish free,surprisingly,and damm close as good as the 30k clone at Carlisle.

Hey,fun81,nice L81. I give you credit,only 2k in 2 years. I figure that i will average 2-3 k a year or so. Is yours a 4 speed? Most of these color combo,s were gearboxes.

Nobody has any definative numbers,but between much web research,and talking to the folks at Corvette and the museum. Best guess estimate that i have for our color combo,only produced in 81,at BG,is anywhere between 550 and 1100.

Later Ken.

No mine is an automatic ken , i just had it out tonite i want to keep driving it, it seems the more i drive it , it runs better and better, but i still need front suspension work, i bought new shocks already but did not put them on, but i still think it needs more than just shocks , it's not a rattle bucket but it definably needs ball joints , idle arm, etc hopefully before i paint it this winter that will be all done , i'm having a corvette guy paint it "1996 torch red " i did see a torch red one at carlise , i knew it was different from the stock C3 reds , i had ask the gentleman if his red was the torch sure enough i was right , looks so fine and i'm going for side pipes with the chrome or aluminum covers after paint, alls i need is to win the lottery!!

Rick

Unfortunately, mine is an automatic. I'd love a stick, but I'm happy with the car.

The records show that it hadn't been driven for almost 10 years before I was lucky enough to find it. I was really worried about the problems you've mentioned...dry seals, etc. When I first got it, it ran pretty rough...especially in lower gears. I thought I was in for some major work. But some new plugs, wires, belts, filters later, she's running like a top. I do have a small leak from the steering box, but I'm keeping an eye on it. And it really is true...the more I drive it, the better it runs.

I keep the mileage low, partly because of the "investment" factor, and partly because of the collector insurance. I don't drive it in the rain, and I take it off the road in the winter. I live in Western NY: even if the roads dry for a day or two in the winter, they are caked with salt. But I manage to get her out once or twice a week, and when I do, she really is fun.

Took her to her first show this year. There were all sorts of classic, and just plain old cars there. She got a lot of looks, but I think I'm going to focus on corvette shows in the future...where I hope she can really be appreciated.

Thanks to this forum, and all who participate. I don't visit as often as I should, but every time I have some kind of problem I'm sure to find an answer here. You people are all terrific!

Glad to hear it!! We're happy you were pleased & look forward to having you next year.

Lance

PS Great pictures!

Fun81,I noticed the same thing with my 81 when i first bought it this past March.

It had not been driven,for about 4 years,and I also bought it from a trusted and reputable corvette shop whom only buys and sells good vettes.

I did spend some time talking with the original owner,and he hated to part with the car,but he needed the cash,and when i got it,they just put on new brakes,all the way around,replaced the power steering valve motor,and hoses,and put in new plugs.

When i first drove the car it had some squeaks,and rattles and ran a little rough. But as others had noted the more i drove it the better it ran,and the squeaks and rattles disappeared somehow.

I did have to replace the ecm,and the rough idle was caused by that as well as a bad carb base gasket.
rebuilt the carb,and now the car runs like new.

I actually took 2 trophys at 2 of the 3 car shows i attended this summer,one first first runner up. (second place) and one for first.

i try to get her out at least once a week even for a short run,but no more then every two weeks.

I also want to keep the mileage down,for the same reasons as you. longevity and collector value,and the insurance.

Also welcome to the forum,and yes,you will gain valuble information from the guys and gals on this forum.

later,Ken

I agree with you wonkaboy, anyone with a Vette within driving distance of Carlisle, its a must see event. I walked around with my camera, but took no pictures. Its almost overwhelming, all the Vettes, but its not. But the feeling of walking around so many people, realizing they all have Vettes to, its just a fantastic atmosphere. I'm not a big crowd person, but I'll take that crowd everytime, anytime!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom