Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carpet Removal

eastnder

Corvette
1967 blue coupe, 1973drk. blue coupe
Anyone know an easy way to remove the carpet from the storage doors in the rear area of a 73. I bought a new carpet set and got everthing swapped over except the doors. I really don't want to replace the doors cause they have the original stickers on the unerside. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim

These aren't rivited, they are glued in with some kind of super glue. I can't seperate them for nothing!!

Try a HEAT GUN on the non-carpeted side, then pull firmly and evenly.

Good Luck.

I had the same problem when I replaced the carpet in my '73. After I removed the plastic frames, I wedged a puddy knife between the door and the carpet. Keep pushing until I was able to remove the carpet. Hope this helps.
Gary

Jim,

I used a variation of the putty knife option on my '72 years ago. I kept heating it up over the gas burner on my stove (made the wife real excited over this) and kept working it under the carpet. Gotta be REAL careful as I nailed my fingers a couple times but it eventually came off. Also used the hot knife on the remaining adhesive to get a clear surface to reattach once I was done. Good Luck!! I used carpet adhesive to reattach.

.......... Nut

Hey Nut,
Gotta love the stove idea. I can just picture the wife flipping out over it. I'll give it a try.Thanks for your help,
Jim

Hey Jim,

You'll notice I didn't say "when" I was doing it. I seem to have this thing about using appliances for other uses than they were intended. I even gave the idea of putting the door in the broiler for a couple minutes at a time, but ruled that out as too extreme for even me. Nothin' like heating up putty knives right in the middle of dinner time. She just couldn't see the genius in it. :D Ya know...... when you're in the mood......... well, you just gotta do it.

........... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom