Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carter Carb Source

C

Charlie '64

Hello, I'm looking for a reliable source for a reconditioned or remanufactured carter AFB for my '64 300 hp. Am trying to stay numbers correct. Have any of you had any experience with anyone you'd recommend? Thanks!!

Charlie '64

I purchased my WCFB on Ebay and then had it rebuilt (I rebuilt it my self, but if you are looking of an NCRS restoration check with Bob Kuntz. I do not have an address or phone number at this time, but I may be able to locate it in an NCRS Drive Line this evening

Ray

Charlie '64 said:
Hello, I'm looking for a reliable source for a reconditioned or remanufactured carter AFB for my '64 300 hp. Am trying to stay numers correct. Have any of you had any experience with anyone you'd recomend? Thanks!!
try craig woodruff 330-799-9479 in youngstown ohio

If you want "numbers correct", go over to the NCRS board and ask the experts. I believe Kuntz or Kunz is the guy they recommend.

Hello again! Thank you all for the help. I'm not really trying to build an NCRS car, just trying to keep the '64 as original as possible. I decided when I bought it, when I had to replace something I would try to keep it original. The AFB on it now is a 3721S which shows (in the sources I've checked) it came mated to a 4 speed. My car has a matching #,s powerglide. The current carb has developed some problems and I'm not sure if it's a good rebuilder, so I am thinking of trying to find a 3720 which shows to be the original part for a powerglide. I've never tried rebuilding a carb and am somewhat intimidated by the thought. I've done lots of other work on the car (things I hadn't done before) myself, but a carb seems to be intimidating. My thinking was to find a rebuilt 3720 and then tear into the old carb as a learning experience without loosing too much driving time. Maybe that's wasting some bucks, but the learning experience might pay off later. Sorry about the rambling, just wanted to explain where I was heading and say thanks again. You guys on this forum have really been a big help. THANKS!!

I used BFIC / Carbsonly at 1617 W. Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, CA 91506. Cost was $339.82, which included the return shipping, UPS Ground.

Their number is 877-333-3130, or http://www.carbsonly.com/index/faqs.htm .

It was a bit pricy but the restoration plating and carb setup were perfect.

critchie said:
If you want "numbers correct", go over to the NCRS board and ask the experts. I believe Kuntz or Kunz is the guy they recommend.

[size=-1]Bob Kunz, 314-845-2566, St Louis, MO.

;) :beer

[/size]

Charlie '64 said:
. My thinking was to find a rebuilt 3720 and then tear into the old carb as a learning experience without loosing too much driving time. Maybe that's wasting some bucks, but the learning experience might pay off later. THANKS!!

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. My original 3721 needed a rebuild and I was a carburetor rebuild virgin. I bought a POS carter AFB (non-corvette) from EBAY for like $25 and rebuilt it and it worked wonderfully on my '65 with one exception - the choke didn't fit under the Corvette dual snorkel air cleaner.

Carters are EASY to rebuild. They rarely have complications like the Holleys (warped surfaces, stripped bowl mount holes, etc...). If you're not looking for factory correct, I recommend buying a kit, buying a book, and diving in. If you're careful and keep all the parts, it is unlekely that you will cause any damage. And... the learning experience is definitely worth it because you will truly understand how the carburetor works.

Brian

Charlie,

The AFBs that came on 62-65 Corvettes had different numbers depending on the year and whether a standard or automatic. Your 64 automatic would have come with a particular number. I forget what that number is now. May have been 3721. You can find the special numbered AFBs for sale by the NCRS guys and on EBay. Maybe around $600 rebuilt.

Or, you can go with the 3721 one. The 3721 one was correct for some 64s and 65s and was also the service replacement carb for all years for both manual and automatic transmissions. The 3721 carb is much cheaper than the others and will work just as well with all years. The choke, air cleaner, and linkage will bolt right up. All these carbs look the same. But the 3721 one will be a lot cheaper. I've seen them on EBay, needing a complete rebuild, for under $100.

It's not difficult to rebuild any AFB. Kits are readily available. The currently available Edelbrock "Performer" carburetor is an AFB. Most of those parts will fit your carb. You may need to buy metering rods to get your 3721 back to your application.

There's a great book on AFBs. It's the HP series books. All you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.

Hey, thanks for all the input! I think I'll make some of these contacts you all recommended and see if I can find a book and weigh my options. You guys have got me thinking maybe I can rebuild this 3721. Thanks for the info that this was a replacement carb used on these cars, that answers some questions. I had looked in the local Borders, but had not found a book specific to Carters, but will continue the search. I just hate to miss driving the car while I try to figure out and fumble my way through a rebuild. Thought maybe just replacing it my go quicker. Thanks again for all the input, I'll let you know how I come out.

Charlie,
I bought mine and sold mine through EBAY
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=carter+book+carburetor&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=60137&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Also, if you check out this link, about halfway down, you will see some pictures and info from when I rebuilt my junker carb. It was the first time I attempted to rebuild an automobile part. It should make you feel better about attempting this yourself.
http://65corvette.nonethewiser.net/monthly_journals/winter02-03.htm

Brian

While touring the Holley plant in Bowling Green, I was surprised to find that they re-manufacture a large number of other brands, including Carter.

www.Holley.com

Ask our own member DrJohn who works there. ;)

The Carter book is called, "Carter Carburetors: Performance, Street, and Off-Road Applications." This book is ubiquitous. I've seen it in many bookstores, including the Barnes and Noble on East 86th Street in Manhattan. It's also available on the NCRS web site and at Amazon.com. Under $20. The ST-12 has a good section on rebuilding Carter AFBs. That guy on EBay from the Phillipines that has all those manuals sells a manual on AFBs for $9.99.

Rebuilding a carburetor is fussy work. It's not hard. Doesn't require any special tools or knowledge. But, your first time, it's probably something you don't want to hurry.

Can you drive your car as is for a while? Buy a 3721 and a rebuild kit on EBay, and rebuild it at your leisure.

Hello again, Just a quick update. I ordered the book you guys recomended, but after searching for a "carb to learn on" and not having any success (at least for an affordable price) I sent the carb to Recarbco in Pittsburg, California. Two day turn around and it came back looking great. Put it on the car and it fired right up and the problems I was having seem to have been cured. The car runs great!! $338 including shipping which seems high, but the people were excellent to deal with and their work seems good so far. Also got a 12 month warranty. hopefully I won't have to see how well they stand behind it! Just wanted to thank you all again for the help!! Charlie

Oh yeah, had one more question, the carb has what I think is a date code of m3, can anyone tell me what build date that would translate to? My '64 was built Feb 28,'64 and was wondering if that would be a good date for the carb to maybe have come on the car. Thanks

Well, maybe it is the original carb?! Thanks John!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom