Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Castrol 'edge' vs Mobil 1. . . ?

The oil analysis is a complicated thing. I was out this morning and stopped at an Advanced Auto parts store and read oil bottle lables, turns out that Quaker State synthetic, Valvoline Syn-power and Mobil-1 are the only ones that show on the bottles that they meet or exceed GM 4718M , Honda HTO-06 and GM9064M.

Pennsoil Platinum says it meets GM6094M and Royal Purple synthetic says on the bottle that it meets all API standards?

And the Castrol oil bottle says it meets or exceeds GM6094M and all API standards. Castrol says it's 8 times better than Mobil-1 Valvoline bottle says it's 4 times better than Mobil-1.

So I guess it's a kinda whatever you think is a good oil, go for it. Me, I'm just kinda confused so if GM says use a oil that meets or exceeds GM4718M, I'll stick with Mobil-1. I'm sure Royal Purple is the best from what others here have said, but their oil bottle is kinda skimpy on details.;shrug

So I guess it's a kinda whatever you think is a good oil, go for it. Me, I'm just kinda confused so if GM says use a oli that meets or exceeds GM4718M, I'll stick with Mobil-1. I'm sure Royal Purple is the best from what others here have said, but their oil bottle is kinda skimpy on details.;shrug

FWIW, here is the list of oils that GM has registered for GM4718M:

oil_lists_02_2008.jpg

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum in mine, it's shown great oil analysis results for me and I find it on sale quite often too.

Just a little curious how Redline oil factors into this equation or is it cost prohibitive? ;shrug I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread.

Dennis

What's That Noise?

It's sad really, but Mobil 1 is not as good as it used to be. It's been on a downward trend ever since Exxon took over, and now it's all about the profits, so they are cutting back wherever then can in order to make the allmighty dollar.

The oil analysis reports I've seen with Mobil 1 have steadily shown higher engine wear over the last couple of years, so this isn't new news to me, I've known about it for a while.

OMG, I thought I could hear my engine wearing over the last couple of years.:L Thanks for the tip.
I'm finished with Mobil 1.:L:L

Remo:cool

2001499170103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

2001 Lingenfelter Convertible. Cam, heads. ported, polishied, Kooks
Longtube Headers, High Flow Cats, X-Pipe, Borla Stingers. T1 Springs
& Sways, Bilstien Sports. 457 RWHP, 404 RWTQ.

Hmmm....... Very interesting

Wow, interesting thread to say the least. I too was curious about Castrols' claims. a lot of different opinions here. I've used Castrol in my vehicles going back to the days when I bought my first Kawasaki motorcycle (figuring that if it was recommended/good enough for a 10,000+ rpm street engine it should be good in my 4 wheeled vehicles) and I am anal about maint.--the engines are always clean inside and I've had no failures. Then I bought my Vette which was raised from a pup on Mobil 1 and I've continued that tradition. It goes without saying ,IMO that any manufacturer is going to say their product is the best. Going back 20-30 years when I was working on many carbureted cars I could always tell when someone was using Exxon products by looking inside a carburetor or under a oil fill cap. To say the least I didn't have a very good opinion of Exxon products at that time. My Vette looks brand new under the valve covers , so I've continued with the Mobil 1.

It's hard to go online and find studies that aren't biased by a particular manufacturer/money. I'm also very hard pressed to believe that so many auto manufacturers would recommend Mobil 1 ,since their brands reputation is on the line, if it was inferior and /or promoted engine wear. Once again interesting thread ! :thumb

OK --- Here is a strange one. I looked at the M1 label at the store. It does not mention
GM4718M at all. It only says that it is the factory fill for Corvettes and some other cars. They also list two other specs, but no GM4718M. Is this weasel wording or marketing??

HI there,
If you look at the data sheets from Mobil 1 to Edge, NEITHER does any more than the OTHER, they BOTH MEET THE SAME MANUFACTURERS STANDARDS>
Take a look.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

http://castroledgeusa.com/assets/pdf/Edge%205W-30%20and%2010W-30_PDS.pdf
Fact is, API rating SM for them.
NOONE has provided substantiated reports for being 8X better than the other.
So, lets be realistic, additives packages are the only real difference and even that is slight.
Allthebest, c4c5

statistics ...

"Liars figure & figures lie" ................. :eyerole

Rule #1 of statistics ... take that to the freaking bank ! !

The best analogy is the one used when comparing asprin and analgesic compounds like Bufferin versus Bayer and all that, I don't remember the exact companies but it went something like ...

"Bufferin starts working three times faster than Bayer"

While the results were true, did it matter? Some study found out that one product could be detected in the bloodstream in like three minutes and four seconds and the other in two minutes and twenty one seconds. Don't check my math on this ... too lazy to do it correctly ... but do you get the picture?

Is it a significant number ... or just an numeric function that looks good on paper?

Something may be eight times more ... but ... who cares?

How they measure this stuff ..... I knew a woman who did this for a living for one of the major companies .... this ain't a joke!

She would administer a dose of an aspirin like product to a mouse and then drop the mouse on a hot plate ... stop watch in hand .... and when the mouse jumped ... BINGO! They would modify the dose or temp and do this all freakin day!

ON THE SAME NOTE ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE "PURPLE" STUFF
OR ROYAL PURPLE----SOME PRETTY HOT DOG ADS

ON THE SAME NOTE ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE "PURPLE" STUFF
OR ROYAL PURPLE----SOME PRETTY HOT DOG ADS

I posted before in this thread that I read a Royal Purple bottle of 5w 30 synthetic and all it said was it passed all APi standards, but I think that it most likely as good or better than any other oil, but their bottle lable is a little light of details.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom