Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Caution: Corvette Salvage Yards

Greg Gore

Corvette
96 Coupe-white, LT-1; 04 Convertible-triple black
I have had two bad experiences recently when dealing with otherwise well known Corvette salvage yard used parts dealers. I called around looking for used carpeting in one case and a side mirror and a fender panel for my 96 in the other. I did ask specific questions about condition and in each case I was promised I would be sent parts that were in excellent condition. Both salvage yards sent beat up parts in poor condition that would not be suitable for a junk car. I promptly sent them back and in both cases I received the run-around on the phone when asking that the purchases be refunded back to my credit card. One of the dealers who otherwise does not have a poor reputation repeatedly called me a liar and treated me like a dog on the phone. I will continue to try to get refunds and if it becomes necessary to have my credit card reverse the charges I will let everyone know who the salvage yards are so you can at least proceed with caution with these dealers. I recommend traveling to the salvage yard's place of business as you can see what you are buying.

Regards, Greg

Description of Events- Returned Items

Differences of opinion concerning condition would be a common problem. I had this possibility in mind and tried to avoid it by asking very specific questions about condition before I agreed to accept the parts. In the case of the carpet he said it was pulled out of a wrecked CE with 50K miles when they got the car in. I asked him to check to see if the carpet had signs of being wet from leaking weatherstrips. He said he would check, came back to the phone and said no, that it was near perfect so I agreed to it. When the carpet arrived it was obviously from a car that had water leaks; it had rust tracks where the seat tracks are in addition to other water damage that would not clean up. The carpeting went back for return the next day. The dealer with the mirror and fender resulted from calling around looking for good white ones. He said he did not have a white fender but said he did have a nice white mirror. I told him I need one that will not need repainting, it was for a nice car and I was looking for nice original paint. He said he knew he had one like that so I agreed to the mirror. An old C4 mirror with cracked chipped paint arrived along with a black fender (added to bill, did not order) so I sent them both back. I waited until I knew he had them back and when I called to discuss a refund he was pretty abusive over the phone and called me a liar several times. The experiences have pretty much ruined me for being a Corvette salvage yard parts customer.

Regards, Greg

Judging the condition of used parts (or used/old anything for that matter) can be so subjective, it's probably not a horrible idea to avoid salvage yards for over-the-phone purchases.

When I purchased my vette, I found it on Autotrader down near Nashville, TN. The seller (a small dealer) understood I was driving over five hours to buy it, so we both verbally agreed that I only had his word on the condition so I could back out of the deal if I disagreed with his assessment. I would think any business that routinely deals in used merchandise should have an understanding with potential buyers who can't look at the goods first hand before buying or agreeing to buy.

Good luck on the refunds AND on finding those parts you still need.

Greg Gore said:
Differences of opinion concerning condition would be a common problem...

Yes... it is that reason alone that I buy parts that are made of metal, can be polished/refinished, or are simply covered up by other parts.

I would rather pick through parts than order blindly off the net.

DarkShark78 said:
I would rather pick through parts than order blindly off the net.

Or trust a guy (especially one trying to sell you something) over the phone to look at an item as carefully as you would and give you as accurate description as you'd like.

In this modern world of technology, you should ask for digital pictures in your mail.

and then decide whether the parts are good or not your cup of tea.

that's the way I did it all the time when buying Renault parts in France and Germany.

I know out of experience some salvage yard could be very tricky.

good luck in your search for the right parts.

I agree that condition is relative. Years ago I bought a hard top in Florida for my 90 convertible, and I was assured it was in "excellent condition." When I received it in a HUGE box, I pulled it out and it had deep scratches on both sides, down into the fiberglass. I was enraged. I called the dude and he gave me a discount, but in retrospect perhaps to him it was in excellent condition because it wasn't falling apart and all the weatherstripping was in perfect shape. A couple of years ago I ordered a rear hatch solenoid from one of the corvette salvage yards that comes up when you type key words into a search engine, and I got the part in a few days, but the housing was broken. I find it hard to believe they didn't notice this before packing it in the box for shipping. I didn't press the issue, but from now on in my email correspondence with them I'll get everything spelled out in detail before I give my credit card #.

Dino's in Picayune.

Greg Gore said:
I have had two bad experiences recently when dealing with otherwise well known Corvette salvage yard used parts dealers. I called around looking for used carpeting in one case and a side mirror and a fender panel for my 96 in the other. I did ask specific questions about condition and in each case I was promised I would be sent parts that were in excellent condition. Both salvage yards sent beat up parts in poor condition that would not be suitable for a junk car. I promptly sent them back and in both cases I received the run-around on the phone when asking that the purchases be refunded back to my credit card. One of the dealers who otherwise does not have a poor reputation repeatedly called me a liar and treated me like a dog on the phone. I will continue to try to get refunds and if it becomes necessary to have my credit card reverse the charges I will let everyone know who the salvage yards are so you can at least proceed with caution with these dealers. I recommend traveling to the salvage yard's place of business as you can see what you are buying.

Regards, Greg

There's a corvette salvage yard (Dino's www.corvettesalvage.com) right down the road from me. Dino is a really nice guy and I'm sure he'll help you in anyway. I dealt with him a couple times when he had 61 vette in the yard. His prices were real reasonable....although I can't vouch for his C4 parts. He admitted that he didn't know much about C1s but still the prices were great!!!

58n65

I have a salvage yard about 1.5 hours from me. Even though he is a short distance away, I still have him UPS stuff. I trust him and I have dealt with him for years.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom