Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Center Console Peeling

F

f18_builder

My center console is wearing/peeling in places. I hate to buy a new one b/c the things are high! Has anyone tried to recoat a console or interior trim piece? The coating looks to be rubberized. Alternatively, I was going to see if a salvage lot had one.

Thanks

I'm eager to see responses to this posting too. I have a '96 Grand Sport with one peeled area on the left side of the shifter boot and another next to the center storage compartment in line with the hatch button. I trimmed the uneven edge of the coating off next to the shifter with an X-acto knife, but I'd relaly like to fix the problem without having to buy a new part. I understand it's expensive.

The cheapest I have seen is $100 used. Unfortunately, this seems like a common problem, especially by the lid release, that I am afraid that a used part will have the same problem.

I wonder what the part looks like without the coating. If I can find a part to experiment with, I might try to find a rubberized paint that flows out to a fairly thin layer when drying.

I'm only really concerned about this for shows, since my eyes are glued to the road when I'm stomping around.

You might try a search on this topic in CAC.

I saw a post somewhere about a year ago on repainting the console and other interior trim in a Vette. There is a way to refinish but I don't remember where I saw the post. You have to use a special cleaner to get any silicone off, or the new finish will not stick. The article said to NEVER sand before the silicone remover or you drive it into the plastic froever and nothing sticks after that.

Maybe this helps,
Radar

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did a Forum search and found a message from Ken (a site administrator) with a hyperlink to an article on refinishing. Unfortunately, the link does not appear to be vaid anymore. I sent him an e-mail asking for an update and will post it here when I get it.

This sounded familiar. I had this web site and I just tried it, so it's still active. www.batee.com.. Click on Corvette and the scroll down to "Non-Electrical C4 Repairs..There you will find " how to Repair and Refinish Plastic Pieces" Hopes this helps...Regards, Frank:beer

Thanks Frank for the advice. I couldn't get the hyperlink to work at first - I think there's an extra period at the end of it - but I found and printed the article.

Now my two biggest challenges will be (1) taking my Vette out of service long enough to make the repair, and (2) convincing my wife that the dishwasher is REALLY a parts washer!

That's exactly what I was looking for.... Thanks for all the help.

I got on SEM Products web site, but couldn't find the products referred to in the article, anyplace to do a product look-up by part number, or an order form. I wrote to the sales manager. I'll pass along anything I find out about this. Perhaps auto paint supply houses carry this stuff.

Assuming I can find the right stuff, what's the best way to remove the console?

The way I removed the console on the wife's 94 was to first remove the shift knob (this was on an auto). The shift pushbutton just pulls out of the knob ( it's tight). Inside the knob is a snap ring which has to come out. Save aggravation and get a snap ring tool. Once the snap-ring is out, the knob will pull straight up and off. My was tough but came off. Next remove the console storage lid. Just move it to the side since it'll have the lamp wires attached. For the shifter console there is two screws at the rear of the console that were covered by a flaps of carpet in the console storage area ( just rear of the power seat switches). There is another screw under the cup holders (pull the rubber liners out to see this screw). It snaps in the front, so pry SLOWLY. Once it's out of the way you should see two screws ( one on each side) on the lower edge of the DIC cover. Remove them and pry the cover off also SLOWLY. It's got srping clips on the top edges. The air vent cover comes off with two screws (Torx T10). That's it. This is going from memory, so I may have forgotten a screw, but they're pretty obvious...Just go slow..these parts are pricey! BTW, I get my SEM products from our local automotive paint supplier. Have Fun!! Frank :beer

console paint

I dont know if yours is the same color as my 1990 but auto parts caries a castiron engine paint that is a perfect match for mine and it has ceramic in it so it helps with the wear factor . hope this helps

Thanks guys. I didn't know it was painted. I would think black plastic would be suffient. I plan to replace my dash parts with a graphite kit. It looks hot.

Hey Sidepipe,
Would you think the removal of the console would basically be the same on a 94 coupe with a 6 speed?
thanks

Man all this info has really helped, my console is starting to peel also...........thanks for all the info and help.

Dear Vettart,

Are carbon graphite interior parts available for the C-4? I'd think well done graphite would look a lot better than the painted-over plastic Chevy left us to maintain. Of course, all the vendors offer tins of parts for C-5s.

By the way, the bare plastic pieces don't look very good in my opinion. So it's either replace or repaint for me.

I sent an e-mail to Eastwood this morning to see if they stock the correct SEM prep and paints. I'll post their response when I get one.

Skyguy007

If the coating on your 96 console feals soft and rubbery its softtouch paint .Water based and heat cured you cant get it except as a factory coating. you can match the color but not the paint. Im retired from an interior parts plant.

Hi Caddy..The console comes apart the same for a 6 speed as it does for an auto. The only difference is the removal of the shift knob for the 6 spd. After pulling up on the shifter button (which is held in place by a retainer, just a friction fit),remove the set screw thats recessed in the groove in the shifter shaft. Then pull up on the reverse inhibitor ring. Now the console trim plate (with the shift boot on it) and be removed. Hope this helps...Have Fun!!! :beer Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom