Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Center gauge console:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
I pulled the center gauges out to do a little work. Before putting it back in I'm checking to make sure all is working. I might be thinking of other car, but I seem to remember a check engine light coming on when I would start the engine and going off after a few seconds. It's the light on the left which also has the seat belt reminder in it. The seat belt is on the top portion and the check engine is on the bottom. Now the check engine light is not coming on as I THINK I remember. Now, reading my owners manual, the CHECK ENGINE light was only for cars made in California. Mine was not. So is my memory not what it use to be? Is there no check engine light there that should be working? I'm just wanting to be sure before I put all back togeather. I hoping that's the case and my manual is correct. I've had bad experience's with misprints in the past. Thanks, :w

The 1980 California corvettes, were the first vettes with the 'computer command system'.
they probably made the dashes with all the same clusters,hence its in the dash but perhaps not working.

The 1980 California corvettes, were the first vettes with the 'computer command system'.
they probably made the dashes with all the same clusters,hence its in the dash but perhaps not working.

I guess you are referring to what the manual calls the Computer Controlled Catalytic Converter, which is what controlls the Check Engine light that I am asking about, which the manual also saids this was ONLY on vehicles purchased in California. So back to my orginal question, is my memory wrong or the manual?? I'm hoping my memroy because the light DOES NOT COME ON!!!! LOL

If there next is a bulb there for it, pull it out ....

If there next is a bulb there for it, pull it out ....

So what you are telling me is that the light never did work or come on as I thought I rememberd, right? And you are saying my manual is correct, right?
thanks,

If you're engine has an q-jet with electrical connectors (E4ME) then you need the Check engine light. If you don't have that carb then you don't need the check engine light and can ignore it.

But I think if you have a center console with check engine light (you're sure it is that light!?) then I'm wondering why it is there... A normal check engine light should come on at startup or if the key is in the run position, mine didn't work either when checking the socket and resetting it, it worked again (but I have a 81).

Greetings Peter

I would think that corvette would have made all of the consoles the same,as they were going thru production.
instead of separating the Cali cars from the rest...IMHO
the ones without the Cali engines just wouldn't work....

1980 California cars ONLY had the CCC, But I have read in other articles in the forum that ALL the 1980 corvettes had the Check engine light in the center dash, but it didn't do anything.

I would think that corvette would have made all of the consoles the same,as they were going thru production.
instead of separating the Cali cars from the rest...IMHO
the ones without the Cali engines just wouldn't work....

1980 California cars ONLY had the CCC, But I have read in other articles in the forum that ALL the 1980 corvettes had the Check engine light in the center dash, but it didn't do anything.

By not doing anything, what you mean is that is never did light up?? It dosen't light when the key was turned. My 1980 does have the socket with the bulb in it, and the bottom portion of the decal does say check engine.
Now, back to the start of this post. I said that I thought I rememberd it coming on before I pulled the console out, and now it does not. My question was is my memory right, or is the manual right, which says only 1980 Calfornia cars check engine light would be working. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom