Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Chambered Exhaust

Boydness

Corvette
1977 350/Auto (California)
I have searched the posts and have decided that I would like to add chambered exhaust to my '77 Auto. (Currently a 2-1-2)
My original plan was to purchase the kit from Mid-America and have it modified by a local shop. Except, now the kit is back-ordered.
I wanted to make some of the recommend mods and would like to throw some work towards the local exhaust guy in the small town.

From a trade awhile back, I have a set of
Hedman Hedders 68400 - Street Rod Block Hugger (Hedman 68400 - Hedman Hedders Street Rod Block Hugger and Tight Tubes Headers - JEGS

I am thinking about using them, instead of the original manifolds.
Any reason why I should not?

I thought that I should go with the glasspacks as suggested.
Should I also add the H-pipe?

If I am adding an H-pipe and glasspacks, should I even bother with a kit?
If not, what length of chambered sections should I order?

And, should I have the glasspacks bolted in, instead of welded, so that I can remove and replace (with replacements or straight pipe)?

From reading posts, I believe that I will need:
EX-341
68-74 2" FRONT HANGER BRACKET W/AUTO TRANS
68-74 2" FRONT HANGER BRACKET W/AUTO TRANS Corvette Action Center Store

I did not find a 2.5" hanger, is there a 2.5" hanger?

Are there any other parts that I should order and take with me to the exhaust shop?

Does anyone have pics that represent what the pipes should look like when installed? I would like to take that with me to the shop.

And, the least amount of thought that I gave to this project was for the tips.
Which tips should I use? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Steven

You're more apt to getting what you want with a custom setup
from your local guy for a reasonable price.
Install the headers and have the installer create an exhaust with an H-pipe if you want it and easy to remove flanges everywhere that you may want it (at headers to just before rear suspension (or frame cutouts) to make removal easier if you need to do some extra work underneath. all the extras will cost a bit extra but will offer a usable system for what you want.
Do some research and find you a good fabricator by talking to some of your local rodders, that way you don't end up with a hack job.
good luck!!!

I have searched the posts and have decided that I would like to add chambered exhaust to my '77 Auto. (Currently a 2-1-2)
My original plan was to purchase the kit from Mid-America and have it modified by a local shop. Except, now the kit is back-ordered.
I wanted to make some of the recommend mods and would like to throw some work towards the local exhaust guy in the small town.

From a trade awhile back, I have a set of
Hedman Hedders 68400 - Street Rod Block Hugger (Hedman 68400 - Hedman Hedders Street Rod Block Hugger and Tight Tubes Headers - JEGS

I am thinking about using them, instead of the original manifolds.
Any reason why I should not?

I thought that I should go with the glasspacks as suggested.
Should I also add the H-pipe?

If I am adding an H-pipe and glasspacks, should I even bother with a kit?
If not, what length of chambered sections should I order?

And, should I have the glasspacks bolted in, instead of welded, so that I can remove and replace (with replacements or straight pipe)?

From reading posts, I believe that I will need:
EX-341

I did not find a 2.5" hanger, is there a 2.5" hanger?

Are there any other parts that I should order and take with me to the exhaust shop?

Does anyone have pics that represent what the pipes should look like when installed? I would like to take that with me to the shop.

And, the least amount of thought that I gave to this project was for the tips.
Which tips should I use? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Steven

You're more apt to getting what you want with a custom setup
from your local guy for a reasonable price.
Install the headers and have the installer create an exhaust with an H-pipe if you want it and easy to remove flanges everywhere that you may want it (at headers to just before rear suspension (or frame cutouts) to make removal easier if you need to do some extra work underneath. all the extras will cost a bit extra but will offer a usable system for what you want.
Do some research and find you a good fabricator by talking to some of your local rodders, that way you don't end up with a hack job.
good luck!!!

The "local guy" is about 20 minutes from me and is the one that everyone has do their custom work on their hot rods.

I thought that I should take the hanger bracket and the chambered exhaust pieces, then let him work his magic.

My headers have a 2 1/2" collector.
Is there a 2 1/2" bracket?

EX-341

What length of chambered exhaust is recommended?
I was thinking of going with Classic Chambered Powersticks, could I use their 12" resonators in place of the glasspacks?
Could any of the Cobrapack mufflers be used?

Steven

Bring the bracket or see if the guy can fab a mount. The powersticks do sound good. I almost went with them but just did Flowmasters.

The "local guy" is about 20 minutes from me and is the one that everyone has do their custom work on their hot rods.

I thought that I should take the hanger bracket and the chambered exhaust pieces, then let him work his magic.

My headers have a 2 1/2" collector.
Is there a 2 1/2" bracket?

EX-341

What length of chambered exhaust is recommended?
I was thinking of going with Classic Chambered Powersticks, could I use their 12" resonators in place of the glasspacks?
Could any of the Cobrapack mufflers be used?

Steven

Bring the bracket or see if the guy can fab a mount. The powersticks do sound good. I almost went with them but just did Flowmasters.

Do you have a pic of your setup?

I'm running 3" stainless all the way from the headers back. I have 30" long chambered sections from Stainless works under the floorboards beside the trans. I don't have much ground clearance but I've also lowered the car about 2" from the F-41 suspension.
art-jett-albums-my-pictures-picture256t-car-049.jpg

I am surprised you can get a shop to do custom exhaust work, like changing to dual exhaust and eliminating catachlysmic converters. I was told here that the shop could be fined big dollars for altering exhaust on my 76. some kind of EPA law violation. Anyway I bought the stuff and did it myself. Now my car is no longer saleable in California, oh darn.

They wouldn't remove the single cat but were ultimately convinced to switch from one to two for a true dual exhaust. They didn't reduce their risk by doing so but that is their issue.

The volunteered to make "test" pipes for me to put in place of the cats while I was testing the car :boogie but I figured that since I paid for them, I may as well leave them in place.

I am surprised you can get a shop to do custom exhaust work, like changing to dual exhaust and eliminating catachlysmic converters. I was told here that the shop could be fined big dollars for altering exhaust on my 76. some kind of EPA law violation. Anyway I bought the stuff and did it myself. Now my car is no longer saleable in California, oh darn.
Ours was an Alabama car that already had a Cat-delete mod so the shop wasn't removing the cats on ours when we got our exhaust put on so there was no risk from them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom