Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chambered Exhaust?

Mad-Mic

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Redskin Red Coupe
i seen a fellow at the local car show. we were the non-entrants parked behind another C-4 that was in the show at a local wal-mart here in maryland and the guy that was next to me had a 95 torch red 6 speed with chambered exhaust. i'm not real fond of the round tips on the setup i like the LT-1 tips better but after looking at it and hearing then looking underneath at the setup i liked it! anyone know how much they cost for a set of these mufflers?

thanks,
Mic

They're not mufflers Mic, they're complete systems (from the manifolds back) eliminating the cat, and if I'm correct, they're true duals, and therefore not legal for the street. ;)

_ken :w

Dang! I knew I should have gone back to WalMart in the afternoon for that show :( .

Ken, why would a true dual not be street legal? Unless it's just the cat elimination that kills it.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
...why would a true dual not be street legal?[RICHR]

Removing the cat is obviously against the law, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that changing the type of system the factory installed, was also against EPA regulations. Of course, that could just be California or I may just be wrong.

The MAD catalog states for the dual system on a 1984-91 model year (L83/L98): "Never to be used on the highway.", but if you have a 1992-96 model year (LT1/LT4) it appears as though you use your existing cats, which in that case, would make it legal.

_ken :w

Ken said:

Removing the cat is obviously against the law, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that changing the type of system the factory installed, was also against EPA regulations. Of course, that could just be California or I may just be wrong.
Yep that is an EPA rule/law. You cannot change the configuration of the exhaust system. If it came with a single exhaust then it must maintain the single exhaust, or duals, or 2 to 1 to 2, etc. Must keep what it came with. Have not idea what the reasioning behind this is but.......its the law. :(

tom...

thanks fella's!

i did look under the car and could of sworn i seen the cats but i do remember him telling me it was a true dual setup i just thought it was different than an 87 coupe. in maryland they have a strict emissions law just like cali. i gave him my email and the website addy to CAC :D hope he gets back in touch with me so i can check it out some more!

Rich,
state of maryland requires the emissions to be factory standards. this means you can't change anything other than replacing equipment. i looked into this along time ago with my Z/28 cause it has single exhaust and i seen a Z/28 with true duals. it's hard to do it on that car similar to the corvette cause of the C Frame that is similar but on a Z it's called an anti torque bar that runs from the tranny to the rear to stabilize the rear end cause of it's being a coil over system. on the Z it's very tight to run pipe down the other side but can be done. it's just getting someone to do it is the problem. this is why when you go thru emissions they run the mirror down the side of your car.

oh yeah Rich,

this saturday is another show at the Walmart on north point blvd in dundalk i think it's an evening show i'm not sure i got a flyer i'll have to look and let you know. i got school sat morning till 3 but might ride up there if you'd like to go let me know. just give me a ring cause i don't have your # anymore.

thanks,
Mic

Hey Mic Mid America List a cat back chambered system fore 92-96 its the system Ive been thinking about its got LT 1 tips,and its aluminized only$549.99.:D

Mad Mic, have you had your Vette emissions inspected yet? Currently, they don't :) Sothpaw and I both got exemptions - the car's too low for the treadmill. No inspection, no sniff, no nothing. Pull up out front, let them see how low the car is, and get a two-year free ride (totally free - not even the $14 fee!).

I knew that removing/gutting cats was a no-no, but thought that you could change systems as long as it was still a factory setup on some model of your vehicle. Ah well.

Honestly, though, do you think the minimum-wage punks at the emissions place know what came on what year Vette?

[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Honestly, though, do you think the minimum-wage punks at the emissions place know what came on what year Vette?

[RICHR]

LMAO!!! so true so true! yeah i went thru emissions back in april so i'm good for 2 years :D they did the tread mill test down in annapolis. where did you get yours done?

Mad-Mic,

Why not think about installing muffler eliminators if it's the sound you're looking for? They're inexpensive and legal! I had them on my '88 convertible and loved them!

GS Diva aka Elaine

GS Diva said:
Mad-Mic,

Why not think about installing muffler eliminators if it's the sound you're looking for? They're inexpensive and legal! I had them on my '88 convertible and loved them!

GS Diva aka Elaine

Is this straight pipes from the cat back?

Mad-Mic said:
they did the tread mill test down in annapolis. where did you get yours done?

Glen Burnie, and Sothpaw did his I think in Whitemarsh. The desk guy said they check cars on a case-by-case basis, but that they haven't NOT exempted a Vette yet.

&*(#^$(&&^*(#$ roller test. I still think it munched the transmission on my Outback, though I can't prove anything.

[RICHR]

GS Diva said:
Mad-Mic,

GS Diva aka Elaine

Elaine,

How much and where? what do the tips look like?

Rich,

i stood there and watched and listened he didn't stomp it just barely gassed it up to 55 mph and then let off trust me i heard nightmare stories if he would of run the hell out of it i would of been very upset.

Thanks!

Mad-Mic said:

Elaine,

How much and where? what do the tips look like?

Thanks!

I bought them from Mid America (and they're called Muffler Eliminators)...cost was about $135 or so, then I paid my mechanic about $50 to install them. They came with chrome tips,but I covered them with the black ones I had already put on the'88. It was small money for much sound! I loved it!

Elaine

On the subject of improved sound, I have a '94 coupe and I would like my car to sound a bit louder.

What is the recommended way of doing this, relatively inexpensively?

I think that FlowMaster would be a relatively inexpensive way to make your car louder as well as gain a few horses.

I went with the FlowMaster's and I love them. They're much less expensive than the stainless steel guys.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom