Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing a blower motor

Do you think the van blower is actually stronger than the original one would be with all new wiring? I looked at both together and the motor seems to be the same size with a different housing.

Ok, I am in the middle of the blower motor upgrade for the a/c fan. I have the new motor for an 87 GMC van and am now in the process of making the spacer. I need help from anyone who has done this. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that is going to be thick enough and not too thick. The thread I read about doing this said that the spacer should be 3/4 to 7/8" thick. I tried to find something plastic but couldn't find anything. I guess that I am going to have to make the spacer out of wood. I can find lots of pieces that are 3/4" but am afraid that after I go through all the trouble to make the spacer and then put it on only to find that the squirrel cage is rubbing. If anybody has done this, will the 3/4" stock work or should I keep looking for something closer to 7/8"

Ok, I am in the middle of the blower motor upgrade for the a/c fan. I have the new motor for an 87 GMC van and am now in the process of making the spacer. I need help from anyone who has done this. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that is going to be thick enough and not too thick. The thread I read about doing this said that the spacer should be 3/4 to 7/8" thick. I tried to find something plastic but couldn't find anything. I guess that I am going to have to make the spacer out of wood. I can find lots of pieces that are 3/4" but am afraid that after I go through all the trouble to make the spacer and then put it on only to find that the squirrel cage is rubbing. If anybody has done this, will the 3/4" stock work or should I keep looking for something closer to 7/8"

I think I used 7/8" plywood. You can figure out the measurement by measuring the difference between the two fan drums. I used a piece of rubber sheeting for use in bathtub installations to cut a gasket. You have to get longer sheet metal screws to install. I don't have any pictures but it's not that complicated.

DID YOU CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS 12 VOLTS GOING TO THE MOTOR? IF NOT START TRACING BACK TO SEE WHERE IT STOPS. RELAY OR SWITCH ?

This is driving me crazy. I just finished putting everything back together and went for the big test. Well, after changing everything, relay, fuse block, wiring harness for relay and all ground connections; the high fan speed doesn't work. Are there any other fuses that I may be missing? Could it be the switch? I sure hate to open the console but I don't know what to check next. The fan is blowing better than it was before but cuts off when I flip it to the highest speed.

Smoked wire to my blower motor

I really need some help with this one. I have a 79 L-82. I had the fan on high and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I finally noticed the wire to the blower motor was fried. I have disconnected the wire from the blower and have purchased a new motor from Advanced auto. I have also order the resistor which had one spool burned also. Not sure if the issues is related. I would appreciate any advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom