Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing Plug Wires

Eagle

Corvette
1995 Teal Coupe
Yikes!!!!!! I purchased new plug wires and expecting a 10 minute job, went to change the old ones out. Hold it. Not that simple. By opening up the hood, I could not even see where the old plug wires went. They go somewhere toward the middle/front of the engine. It looks like I may have to get underneath this thing just get to the plug wire destination. Can that be true?

Dick
95 Corvette

No, you don't have to go underneath the vehicle.

1/2 hour for passenger side.

2 hours for driver's side.

Buy a six-pack and be very patient.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find threads where folks explained how to do it.

There are things to take apart. Not hard, but time consuming.

I am leaving my house right now, so I can't be of more help.

SAVE THE :w

I just did this job, however I had was replacing the waterpump and did the opti also. I would say to take pictures and make notes of the routing of the wires before you take anything apart. On the passenger side you can do one wire at a time, not so on the driver side. There is one place where the wires go between the ps pump and a bracket and the wires need to go through there one wire at a time. I had to loosen the bolts on the pump and move it forward a bit to fit the wires through there. I also had the pulley off of the ps pump which gives a lot more room to work. I bought GM replacement wires and was a little disappointed in that they were not labeled like the originals and the lengths did not match as close as I would have liked. Before installing the wires, if they are not labeled, I would take a sharpie and label them in many places. When you are handling some of the places you have written the number will wear off, so the more places the better.

Thanks for the tips. Evidently, this is more involved than I thought and will wait for a bit warmer weather to tackle the job. Sounds like good labeling would be a good thing to do.

Yikes!!!!!! I purchased new plug wires and expecting a 10 minute job, went to change the old ones out. Hold it. Not that simple. By opening up the hood, I could not even see where the old plug wires went. They go somewhere toward the middle/front of the engine. Dick
95 Corvette

They do towards the middle/front of the engine; that's where the distributor (optispark) is located, right under and behind the water pump on the timing chain cover.

I did the right rear two plugs when I replaced the fuel filter and the driver's side rear two plugs when I replaced the brake vacuum booster.

The front plugs on both sides were, by contrast, much easier to get to.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom