Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing the clutch on my 96, having trouble getting the trans down, need help

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
1996 LT4

Can the trans come down with the shifter still attached? That is the question.

We have the exhaust off, console apart, getting ready to remove the drive shaft and C-beam. It does not look like there will be enough room to slide the trans back far enough to come down with the shifter still attached. Does the shifter have to come off before you try to slide the trans back away from the engine or will the engine tilt backward far enough for the shifter to come down and clear the hump?

You can pull out the shifter arm bolts and put the shifter into 3rd or 5 th gear should clear.

I would not lower the back of the motor too much ,the wiper motor can get crushed.

you don't need to remove the shifter, only the shift knob, shifter console and rubber shifter seal. You may need to put it in first gear but it will come out as long as the support beam does not get in the way. BEWARE! The trans is very heavy. I was able to do this job on my own with the vette on floor jacks.

There is a trick to getting in back in though. If it binds going into the bellhousing, have some one depress the clutch slowly as you slide the tranny in.

also might add that teh bellhousing will not slide off if you ahve some miles on the clutch. You will need to remove the clutch fork. Do that by removing tiny allen washer looking bolt. The first is a number 6 or 8 and the second larger one behind that is a 12? The 12 allen bolt actually turns clockwise to loosen not the usual counter clockwise.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom