Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing the headlight bulbs?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
I was wondering how difficult it is to change the upper and lower headlamps bulbs? I'd like to upgrade to the GE silverstar ultra bulbs and was wondering if it's something I can do myself. My mechanical abilities are so so, but it seems like something I'd like to try? The last thing I tried to fix was my marriage, and that seemed to work out, so. . . .

I did mine, not hard, but I am pretty good at automotive stuff. If you have BIG hands it'll be harder.

It's easy to "think" you have the new bulb "screwed in" right & it's not.

I cranked the buckets up by hand & took off the side covers (3 philips screws)

Twist off, insert new bulb (don't touch glass), twist in.

The Ultra's are better, but not like HID.

There is a kit to have quad lights on all together. I did it on my Suburban & THAT makes a difference. Thinking about the Vette also, but I don't drive it as much at night.

Hope that helps.

If I was doing it again, I would kill the battery. I did not & afterward got to thinking what it would feel like to have the bucket close on my hand.

:ohnoes

:)

Good instruction Froggy. It really is fairly easy. I have fairly big hands (you know what they say about guys with big hands.... you have a hard time changing lights on a c5) and was able to get it done.
I also replaced mine with the Silverstars. I wasn't impressed with their performance. I expected more light for all that money.

Best of luck!!

Eric

Brighter lighting

Good instruction Froggy. It really is fairly easy. I have fairly big hands (you know what they say about guys with big hands.... you have a hard time changing lights on a c5) and was able to get it done.
I also replaced mine with the Silverstars. I wasn't impressed with their performance. I expected more light for all that money.

Best of luck!!

Eric

So I get the idea that these 'Silverstar' lights arn't really all that much of an inprovement over the stock light? opinions please.

I put the Silverstars in my Z06. It is an improvement, for sure. But not as much as I had hoped. The C5 lights are not very good. I am a big guy with big hands and I could do the job. It was tight, but it can be done.

I upgraded to Silverstars - not impressed. Then I upgraded to the Toshiba H1R's from fleabay and that made a noticible difference.

Finally I upgraded my fogs to HID and I'm happy as hell.

I upgraded to Silverstars - not impressed. Then I upgraded to the Toshiba H1R's from fleabay and that made a noticible difference.

Finally I upgraded my fogs to HID and I'm happy as hell.

H1R is a plug in or needs ballast & wiring?

Any heat damage yet from H1R?

I installed PIAA's in my '03 and I'm happy with them. I wanted to replace the OEM's with HID's but wasn't sure if just buying the HID kits from eBay without the projector would be the same as OEM HID's.

I installed PIAA's in my '03 and I'm happy with them. I wanted to replace the OEM's with HID's but wasn't sure if just buying the HID kits from eBay without the projector would be the same as OEM HID's.

Without an HID lens it would not be up to OEM lighting quality. OEM's also have a self leveling feature, I think it is a DOT requirement if I remember correctly. There is a lot more involved than a bulb and ballast for high quality HID lighting.

Without an HID lens it would not be up to OEM lighting quality. OEM's also have a self leveling feature, I think it is a DOT requirement if I remember correctly. There is a lot more involved than a bulb and ballast for high quality HID lighting.

Thanks LLC5, that's what I thought but now I'm convinced that if I do an install with HID's I'll buy a kit that has the projectors too. :beer

So what is the best BULB ONLY upgrade?

So what is the best BULB ONLY upgrade?

In my opinion there really isn't one. To stay DOT legal you need to be 55/60W. If you go higher wattage, then you are technically illegal which can get you a ticket while also blinding other drivers coming and going. If you aim down higher wattage bulbs, then you are defeating the purpose of better night vision in the first place. Brighter light 15 feet in front of your car does you no good at any speed. The idea is to see farther down the road, not directly in front of your vehicle. To stay DOT legal and not blind other drivers you need a complete package. OEM manufacturers do it correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom