Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Chasing leaks

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
I think I have all my oil leaks Fixed but for one.
After reading other Thread about main seals leak and Dont use Fel-Pro Main seals for rear main seal form Pete K.
And yes thats what I used when building the motor he said use just about any other brand But Fel-Pro he has a track record of them failing on him.
My Quesition Is I picked up a SKF brand rear main seal from Napa is this Brand seal a good one before I pull the trans and install it just to find out I should not use this brand either.

Hi,

I would say, in general SKF is one of the world leading brands in bearings and seals, I'm of course biased, as SKF is a Swedish company, founded 1907 www.skf.com

However, I do not have personal experience of your application, so I can't give you a recommendation on what to do, but maybe someone else have.

//sweabe

Put car up on Jack stands today pulled the TC dust cover off expecting to see the Flex plate and the TC to be cover with Oil it was nice and dry.
So it is not the rear main seal after all I pulled the Oil pan and yep I found the leak it was on the seal rail where the Oil dip stick come though you could not real see it before the starter and the headers made it very hard to see.
I happen to have a spare 1 Piece oil pan gaslket from when I built the motor, this time not trusting the instruction for the Oil pan gasket I using RTV this time around not just in the cornners.
The good thing I dont have to pull the trans out Again Thank You.

I've used Fel-Pro sealing products in every engine I've worked on in the last decade or so.

I've installed Fel-Pro rear main seals in small blocks, big blocks and 3.8L GM V6es. I have yet to have one fail.

I've used Fel-Pro sealing products in every engine I've worked on in the last decade or so.

I've installed Fel-Pro rear main seals in small blocks, big blocks and 3.8L GM V6es. I have yet to have one fail.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

If a fel-pro fails,your lower end has too much clearance!~!!:thumb

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom