Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chassis Rust

B

bankboy

Hi.
I read the Bloomington Gold article in the October "Corvette and Chevy Trader". One of the items discussed was rust on the C3 chassis. What areas are most affected by this and need to be inspected? Is this common on C3's throughout the U.S. or not as much of a problem on SouthWest cars?

Thanks

The main area that have rust problem is the frame kick up are in front of the rear wheels. Also check the windshield frame and cowl area.

The area where the car lived will have an effect on the amount of rust. Cars from the rust belt, areas where they salt the roads in winter, will be more apt to have rust issues. But there are also good cars from those areas, they just were not driven in the winter. If you can find a car that lived its life in Phoenix then you will probably have one that has no idea what rust is.

I have two 73's. One came from the Boston area and does have some rust issues. The other grew up in Tucson and San Diego and does not even have surface rust.

tom...

Your frame rust

I can email you pictures of my frame rust as I have just lifted the body off my 1974. It is a Canadian car but the rust locations still apply.

If I can figure out how to add a picture to the posts it would be great for anyone to see them.

Pics if Chassis

That would be great. I really appreciate the feedback I get from this group of people. I am hoping that with a little research on my part I can avoid the mistakes / problems that you get when you don't know anything about the car you want to buy.

Some are on their way as they are in hi res you need to be patient downloading them.

Do a search also on 69Myway as he has a whole photo essay here in the forum and on his own site.

RJ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom